Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some interference issues with a wireless speaker kit I bought (amphony 1700). It runs at 2.4ghz. I am in a new house and have setup a new network to extend through the walls and such as it is larger then my last place. Using 2 airport express to extend the network and 1 airport basestation plugged directly into my rogers modem.

I did see in the airport wireless settings there was an option for channels under the 2.4ghz. If I select a specific channel do I need to change anything on the devices that connect to the wifi or is that all automatic? Hoping I can find a channel that does not get the interference from the wireless speaker kit. When it is on my 100mb connection drops to 1mb or less. The other option would be going only 5ghz, but heard that is not so good for passing through walls and such.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
If you know the frequency the wireless speakers use you could pick a channel far enough away from it. See the table for WiFi channel frequencies here: WiFi Channels | WiFi Frequency Bands List | Radio-Electronics.com

If you manually set a channel, there's nothing else to do on the client devices. You'll ideally want to pick channel 1,6 or 11 since there's no overlap.

Keep in mind extending the network effectively cuts your bandwidth in half. If you can use a wired backhaul you'll get much better performance. It would just be a matter of running ethernet from the base station to each airport express.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you know the frequency the wireless speakers use you could pick a channel far enough away from it. See the table for WiFi channel frequencies here: WiFi Channels | WiFi Frequency Bands List | Radio-Electronics.com

If you manually set a channel, there's nothing else to do on the client devices. You'll ideally want to pick channel 1,6 or 11 since there's no overlap.

Keep in mind extending the network effectively cuts your bandwidth in half. If you can use a wired backhaul you'll get much better performance. It would just be a matter of running ethernet from the base station to each airport express.
I wish I could go wired for many things, but it is an 100+ year old house and just not interested in getting into those walls. of my 100mb speed that I have upstairs where the router and base station is I get around 40mb downstairs for the Apple TV which is plenty fast enough for streaming netflix and amazon video.

Going to give the channel thing a try and see if that will work. I did email support asking if they knew what channel their device used by default, not exactly sure how it works of if it floats and changes all the time.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I wish I could go wired for many things, but it is an 100+ year old house and just not interested in getting into those walls. of my 100mb speed that I have upstairs where the router and base station is I get around 40mb downstairs for the Apple TV which is plenty fast enough for streaming netflix and amazon video.
Have you experimented with 'ethernet over powerline'?

Works for me in my 200+ year old (1815) house getting around internal masonry walls and so on.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you experimented with 'ethernet over powerline'?

Works for me in my 200+ year old (1815) house getting around internal masonry walls and so on.
Thanks, had not even heard of that. Think I will give that a try, though a bit pricy. But if it works as advertised looks like a real simple solution for those things that benefit from a direct line. Unfortunately does not solve my speaker issue as it would still kill my wifi for all the wireless devices I have.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Thanks, had not even heard of that. Think I will give that a try, though a bit pricy. But if it works as advertised looks like a real simple solution for those things that benefit from a direct line. Unfortunately does not solve my speaker issue as it would still kill my wifi for all the wireless devices I have.
If you do go the route of Ethernet over power and place your Airport Expresses in strategic locations you could probably flip to 5GHZ, as it would still penetrate probably enough for coverage with a noticeable speed increase as mentioned earlier because it won't be acting as a repeater too.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do go the route of Ethernet over power and place your Airport Expresses in strategic locations you could probably flip to 5GHZ, as it would still penetrate probably enough for coverage with a noticeable speed increase as mentioned earlier because it won't be acting as a repeater too.

BReligion

Will see how that goes, picked up a D-Link set over lunch

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Study this info page. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202056

Especially study the section "Roaming Network (Ethernet-connected Wi-Fi base stations)"

You can set up a "roaming" network with 'ethernet-0ver-powerline' connecting two airport routers BOTH configured exactly the same and have wifi at both ends.

This works beautifully.

YMMV........

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Study this info page. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202056

Especially study the section "Roaming Network (Ethernet-connected Wi-Fi base stations)"

You can set up a "roaming" network with 'ethernet-0ver-powerline' connecting two airport routers BOTH configured exactly the same and have wifi at both ends.

This works beautifully.

YMMV........
So you just set up individual wifi networks that have the exact name and password? Skip extending the network and have 2 unique yet identical wifi signals.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
So you just set up individual wifi networks that have the exact name and password? Skip extending the network and have 2 unique yet identical wifi signals.
Exact same parameters on both (all) routers. Yes. That's about all there is to it.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I believe you could use different channels, whichever is best for the environment each node is in, but it's probably simplest to use the same one (or, leave it all auto)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts