Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Macs and downloaded ICQ and Netscape but when I double click on the icon in the download file it gives me a message "There is no default application specified to open the doc." What application do I use to set up new software?

Thanks,

Hockeymom_4

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hiya Hockeymom, and welcome to EhMac!

Somewhere on your computer there should be a program called "Stuffit Expander". IF it's not immediately obvious, you can find it by going to the Finder and pressing Command-F ("Command" is the key to the left of your spacebar). Then type in "expander" and hit (return).

Once you've found it, you can drag-and-drop the downloaded files (ICQ or Netscape) on top of the Stuffit Expander icon, and they should "decompress".

Once decompressed, if it is a folder, open it and double-click on the installer. Sometimes the decompressed item is just the installer, not inside a folder.

Let us know if that works...

:D
M

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CubaMark:
Hiya Hockeymom, and welcome to EhMac!

Somewhere on your computer there should be a program called "Stuffit Expander". IF it's not immediately obvious, you can find it by going to the Finder and pressing Command-F ("Command" is the key to the left of your spacebar). Then type in "expander" and hit (return).

Once you've found it, you can drag-and-drop the downloaded files (ICQ or Netscape) on top of the Stuffit Expander icon, and they should "decompress".

Once decompressed, if it is a folder, open it and double-click on the installer. Sometimes the decompressed item is just the installer, not inside a folder.

Let us know if that works...

:D
M
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't seem to have the Expander

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hmm. Pretty much every Mac comes with Stuffit Expander pre-installed. Could you reply, letting us know what kind of Mac you are using? You can also find out other details by going to the Apple Menu (top-left) and choosing "About this computer".

Also, I found these instructions online, which may apply to your situation (hm - actually, this requires Internet Explorer, might not work in Netscape):

Q: I do not have any version of StuffIt Expander, nor any other BinHex
(.hqx) decoder. How can I use Internet Explorer to download and decode the
StuffIt Expander installer?

A: Internet Explorer has a built-in BinHex (.hqx) decoder. Follow these steps:

1) Launch Internet Explorer
2) Go to the Edit Menu and choose Preferences. The Preferences window will
appear.
3) In the list on the left of the Preferences window, click "Download Options" which is under the heading: "Receiving Files".
4) In the area on the right of the Preferences window, the last check box at the bottom says: "Automatically decode BinHex files". Click that box so it has a check mark in it.
5) Click the OK button on the bottom right of the Preferences window.
6) Now, using Internet Explorer, go to our StuffIt Expander download page and be sure to download the BinHex (.hqx) version.

http://www.stuffit.com/cgi-bin/stuffit/n-login_stuffit.cgi?stuffitliteexp

7) The file that downloads should be the StuffIt Expander installer. When the download has completed, double-click the file and it will walk you through the installation of StuffIt Expander.

Hope this helps!
M.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Welcom Hockymom_4, looks like CubaMark is taking good care of you.

His instructions look great. But if you continue to struggle just post again.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just did a basic search for "Expander" in the Finder too, but did not find the actual program either... Then I realized that it was only searching in my "home" folder.... hockeymom_4, If you didn't remove any programs from your computer, it should still be there, just make sure that you have "Everywhere" selected when searching for it.

(It also made me realize how much of the whole "Mac experience", if you will, us Mac users take for granted!)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
HM_4, this may sound odd, but do we know that you d/l'ed the right app? It sounds pretty odd that you have not been able to open/expand it thus far. I mean, did you have the Mac vers, or an .exe? Just checking... something the simplest little things may be overlooked. ;) Hope things work.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
I was a longtime adherent to Netscape, through version 4.7, but once I found OS X and OmniWeb, I never went back... I do recall frequently having decompression problems with Netscape under OS 9. (Though HM_4 is in X).

Regardles, haiggy makes a good point - out of the box, there are a number of tweaks that most of us do to our Macs. Maybe a "Introductory Mac Customization Guide" is in order?

M.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts