Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Netgear MR 314

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Fox 
#1 ·
Just got my won-on-ebay MR 314 (hey, Christmas came early for this Jewish kid).

In summary:

Set Up - 15 minutes (I did read the PDF manual before, though...it's available on their website).

PINTAF (Pain In The Ass Factor, 10 being highest) - 3

Range - Decent (good reception in my bedroom (20 feet, 2 walls away; okay/patchy reception in living room, 40 feet, 5 walls away).

Size - Strike me as having a sizable footprint for a wireless router....about 6" by 9".

Affect on battery life - Yikes! I figure I'd have about an hour or so on a fully-charged Pismo battery.

Other notes for those setting one up/considering buying one: There are specific Mac instructions, (they are for OS 9 , but easy to figure out for OS X). Read the instructions. Do everything they tell you (though Jaguar makes it easy...you don't have to reboot every time they tell you to). This thing will work like a snap.

I am not a network technician, so if I can do this, you definitely can. Feel free to ask any questions you want.

See less See more
#2 ·
I meant to ask you this b4 hand and forgot: which PC card are you using? I will have a nearly identical set-up (MR814, PB). and I will install it in the next few weeks. I'm going to be getting a card soon, and was just curious. Thanks.

#5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mfreeman72:

In summary:

Set Up - 15 minutes (I did read the PDF manual before, though...it's available on their website).

PINTAF (Pain In The Ass Factor, 10 being highest) - 3
Other notes for those setting one up/considering buying one: There are specific Mac instructions, (they are for OS 9 , but easy to figure out for OS X). Read the instructions. Do everything they tell you (though Jaguar makes it easy...you don't have to reboot every time they tell you to). This thing will work like a snap.
<HR></blockquote>

Well, my experience with the MR314 wasn't quite as painless as mfreeman's, but in the end I'm very satisfied. My problem was that my DSL connection (Sympatico) is PPoE, and the PPoE setting in the Network panel doesn't allow a DCHP option, which you need to get this wireless router working. I had to get tech support to solve the problem, which involved a 30 minute phone wait (but toll-free) and 30 minutes of playing with settings. Turns out that to make this work, you uncheck the "connect with PPoE" network setting. Once you do this and go to the PPP tab, DCHP becomes an option and you can then set up the router through their website. Interesting that you don't connect any more through the Internet Connect panel. Instead, you're always connected like the system in my university.

One thing I'm not sure about are the firewall options I should employ to keep outsiders off my computer. Is this really an issue with a router between the Internet and my two home computers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.