Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the next blackout or brownout or beige-out, I would like to get a UPS for my desktop setup -- G4 with 2 internal hard drives, Airport base station, 19" CRT, big tablet, external USB backup drive which is only on when I'm backing up, and a scanner and printer on a separate power bar that's only on when they're in use.

Is 500 big enough or do I need more? What brands/models do you suggest?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think a 500 would be bare minimum for your configuration to give you time to save your work and shut down cleanly.

The issue becomes replacing the battery when it wears out, and it will, which you will find out during the next blackout. Think of most low cost UPSes as throw away hardware with about a 1-2 year life span.

For the office, I've been buying APC SmartUPS units to put on our critical servers. Desktops, that need it, get whatever I find at FutureShop or FactoryDirect at a good price. FWIW, a few weeks ago I saw some good prices on eBay for refurbished APC units from a GTA area vendor.

PS. Good luck on finding a UPS in stock in the GTA... :D

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I concur with jo42 - calculate your load and double. Costco had APC units, CHEAP! Hope they have more, since I found out mine is too small for the devices attached.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts