Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..so its an

G4-1ghz-512mb ram(already upgraded from 128mb)- combo-60gig with 10.4.10

and i was wondering if I could put more ram inside? can it support more?

and i need a superdrive for burning iMovie+iDVD stuff and how/where can i get one whether internal or external? what ones work?

anything else i can get to make this mac 2+years? untill i get my macbook and Macpro?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
There are 2 versions of the eMac 1 GHz - one takes PC133 RAM and has a limit of 1 Gb with 2 x 512 Mb PC133 DIMMs, the other more common one takes DDR RAM and can go to 2 Gb RAM with 2 x 1 Gb DDR DIMMs. Check your System Profiler to see which you have.

You should be able to install a Pioneer DVD-RW drive in it. The Pioneer D112 is bootable in a G5 machine but I have not tested in an eMac.

Other brands of DVD-RW may be compatible as well, although most need a driver called Patchburn to make them compatible with the iApps -- check the database at Accelerate Your Macintosh! News Page - 7/13/07 for info.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I have a 1 GHz eMac, the one that takes 1 GB of PC133 RAM. It's extremely easy to install a different optical drive. My eMac originally came with a Combo drive (CD-RW and DVD read-only). I installed a Pioneer DVR-107 SuperDrive, which set me back around $120 three years ago. Much more recently, I installed a DVR-111 which cost an astonishing $44! It burns DVDs at 16X speed and will handle dual-layer DVD+R and RW. This kind of internal drive swap is much cheaper and tidier than an buying an external FireWire drive.

By the way, neither of my Pioneer SuperDrives required any special software to work.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Much more recently, I installed a DVR-111 which cost an astonishing $44!
Wow. Incredible how prices have changed.

My 1.25 eMac came BTO with 1GB RAM, BT, Superdrive, Airport card and 160GB drive (most of the RAM and all of the other items were added) and cost nearly $2,500 3 years ago.

For that you can now get a fantastic iMac or a great portable.

To the original poster...go to 1GB RAM.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
IF you use the older style RAM the internal drive swap is a good deal more difficult. If you opt for the swap it would be a good idea to install a bigger HD at the same time.

With Tiger get it up to at least 1 GB of RAM unless all you are doing is internet and word processing.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
IF you use the older style RAM the internal drive swap is a good deal more difficult. If you opt for the swap it would be a good idea to install a bigger HD at the same time........
You're confusing the style of RAM with the overall design of the eMac. Any eMac with 1 GHz processor has the optical drive that's easy to replace. As I said above, my 1 GHz eMac uses the older style of RAM (PC133) but it has the easy-replacement style of optical drive.

That said, I would still do the replacement, even if I had the older design.

The HDD replacement is, if anything, more difficult in the new type than it is in the old one. Definitely requires adroitness and awareness of anti-static measures and how to avoid getting zapped by the video and power supply circuitry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts