Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a 12" powerbook (rev A 867) with 640 ram and airport. I know of the heat issues, and all that. Does anyone on here own one of these that doesn't have any issues and that they love using? I just need some thoughts. The one I'm thinking of is brand new and sealed. Let me know what you guys/gals think...

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
The heat is an issue I find. If you are doing intensive work, it gets pretty toasty.

I also had a minor issue with the "reed switch" that was replaced under warranty.

The only feature (or lack of) that bothers me is that its only VGA out. the revB's have mini DVI.

Having said that, buy the machine. You will not regret it. Great screen, amazing keyboard, very zippy, great sound (for a laptop) and an awesome form factor. When the machine is closed, it almost feels like a solid chunk of metal. My Pismo used to creak and groan when i would twirl it in my hands. This machine is sturdy, and built well.

I have been through a lot of machines in the last 3 years. This is one that i will be hanging on to . After i get a desktop to compliment it, i see me using this machine till it dies. Once it is not the "latest and greatest", it will serve tremendously as a second machine.

Another great thing: Because it is so small and light, you never think twice about taking it everywhere you go. This machine defines portability.

Its easy to clean too!

Hows that for an endorsement?

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I have a (rev A) 12" PB G4 w.Superdrive 640/40... and can confirm that the machine does get toasty when doing anything that is really disk instensive.

The Toastyness isn't an issue now... winter is almost here and I can turn down the heat in my home... as the PB provides plenty of warmth.

That being said... best Mac I've owned to date... (And I have had over a dozen or more). I would recommend a targus coolpad (raises the machine for better air flow).

I love the Superdrive and use it often...

I will/can not regret getting this sweet little machine.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
640MB, 40G, Airport Extreme

Yes, the feet fell off, due to the heat in my opinion, see this thread for workarounds since they're not covered under warranty.

Yes, toasty when doing disk intensive stuff. The feet are meant to provide an airspace underneath so that the metal body can release heat, so make sure that airspace is there by putting it on a flat surface, or it will get really hot.

These things are not a big deal IMO.

It is a thing of beauty and a joy to use - plenty fast for (advanced hobbyist-level) photo editing and music sequencing. Office v.X is nice and responsive on it. It's not so rugged that you should throw it in a gymbag - get a fitted bag, pick it up with both hands by the corners and don't slide it around and it will remain perfect. It's extremely scratch-resistant and easy to clean. The keyboard is very shiny - which makes the screen very hard to see in some lighting conditions such as bright sunlight. The quiet fan only comes on when the whole system is being used heavily. The screen is plenty sharp enough to handle the 1024x768 resolution. The battery life is good enough for (at least) a DVD and a half in a dark room, or two hours of Warcraft 3 on low settings, or four hours of text editing, or two hours of importing clips into iMovie, or three hours of relaxed Photoshop work. If it fits your needs, buy it and don't worry about the heat issue.

[ January 09, 2004, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: elmer ]

·
Registered
292 Posts
12" 867, 640 megs ram, airport extreme, superdrive

am enjoying this computer, i moved to this from a tibook 550, heat wise its about the same as my old tibook
so i wouldnt let that really detur you from purchasing, all portables get hot....

you wouldn't regret getting this machine...

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Screen is comfy by itself, don't compare it to a bigger one side-by-side!. Keyboard is excellent, CPU fast enough, battery time appropriate. The only accessory I ever take with me is the battery charger and now my iSight: everything else is built-in!

I may get a 15" if I continue to do video-editing although the money would be on a 20" iMac to replace my ageing HP/W2k.

Go for it!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info people
I'm off to get one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts