Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I saw a network harddrive that I think will fit my needs. Trouble is I don't remember who built it or sold it. I need a HD server that just plugs into my ethernet allowing my Windows PC and my 3 Macs to share HD space. I have too many duplicate photo/music/video files between all of my systems. I am a home user not a business so would like to keep the cost and energy consumption to a minimum (hence no computers as a server).

Can anyone tell me who makes a networked hardrive? Anyone used or using one? Can I increase the drive capacity by installing bigger drives?

Any info would be appreaciated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Maxtor sells a plug in Network hard drive called the "OneTouch" that uses both Firewire and USB 2.0

Check it out here...

Maxtor OneTouch

MrVermin

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the leads but the Maxtor isn't a network drive, just an external drive, and I couldn't find any info on Acomdata on the Futureshop website. Maybe I'll head over to the local FS tomorrow.

While I don't remember who sold the drive I'm thinking of, I am pretty sure it was a well known name.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I stand corrected. I thought that maxtor had a version of the OneTouch that had Ethernet...

Anyway, IOMEGA does have an external hard drive that comes with Ethernet for network storage.

Iomega Network Storage

They range in size from 40gig to 250gig.

MrVermin

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link to Iomega. That's the right idea but way out of the price range ($449 US). I saw a NAS (network attached storage) device from LaCie I believe but it was way too expensive ($1000 CDN).

I was hoping for a lower priced solution but even the potential Acomdata drive mentioned above is not a network drive. The Acomdata website doesn't indicate that they make such a thing.

Thanks for looking for me folks.

[ January 08, 2004, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Macified ]

·
Registered
609 Posts
I remember the one at FutureShop/Boxing Day sale; don't think it was an Acomdata, but "something else" NetServer? Network Drive.... 80g, (USB 2.0/Ethernet 10/100) $100 after rebate. But I can't even find it now on the rebate page, or anything like it on the site. Just know that they sold out online very quickly. May still be a chance some are left in a FutureShop store somewhere, or that someone there would know what it was and if they might get more.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Found the one at FutureShop again:
XIMETA NetDisk
It was on sale earlier, will likely be on sale again soon...
Hmm, link doesn't seem to work any more. It was marked as sold out on Jan.31; I'd saved the web page and link.

Here's the info:

XIMETA NetDisk 80GB 7200RPM External Hard Drive lets users to share the information stored in NetDisk through Local Area Network, and through USB 2.0 interface. Users can take the NetDisk with them anywhere they go and share files, movies, music and photographs with friends and family.

WebID: 10037736
Mfr. Part Number: NDHDE880C

More Information

FEATURES:

* Ideal for home networks, home offices, small to medium businesses and workgroups.
* Save your entire CD collection and create your own personal jukebox.
* Add plenty of storage to meet today's standards and organize large amounts of data generated by MP3 players, digital cameras and digital camcorders.
* Easily share files with everyone on your network; no IP configuration needed.
* Conveniently backup all your files onto one, easily accessible drive.
* Quick And Easy Installation
* Scalable: Speed does not change even if you add additional NetDisk.
* Simultaneous mirroring for secure backup (Software Included).
* Instant, High-Speed Storage

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye on that one. Hopefully it's not too pricey.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts