Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know if apple sells a sub woofer that can be used with an imac's original speakers, so what im asking is if it is possible to hook up a sub and still use the speakers that are originally on the imac. I know you can buy a set with a sub and two speakers but i was hoping to use the original speakers.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
You might need to do some tinkering with usb audio hardware (plug in to mac, plug subwoofer in to usb audio device) and software (tell the mac to output sound on both the usb device and the internal audio). The devices are cheap and there is software that lets you control your sound outputs better than the built-in driver but I don't remember what it's called.

You could also do this with an airport express by plugging the subwoofer into the AE and telling iTunes to use both the AE and computer audio. This will only work for music played through iTunes; not video or audio from other apps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man lol, my mac is my secondary computer so its an older one which only has 2 usb ports which are used for my keyboard and wireless :D, that looks cool though I might get one if I upgrade

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
If you do go with this, be careful. I had one and there was an issue with the iSub and 10.5 and up. Do a quick search on the iSub and 10.5 before you buy

really? i don't know much about it, as i've only ever owned the complete set... the harman/kardon soundsticks 2.1. I got them for 99+tax (free shipping) from futureshop back in 2002, which looks like to be a price tag error :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
really? i don't know much about it, as i've only ever owned the complete set... the harman/kardon soundsticks 2.1. I got them for 99+tax (free shipping) from futureshop back in 2002, which looks like to be a price tag error :)
I think he was talking about the older one that plugged in with usb, i was looking on google and from what i have read it seems that the new ones with speakers dont give you as many porblems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts