Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Need keyboard advice for GarageBand:

5K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Lawrence 
#1 ·
The M-Audio Keystation 49e looks exactly like the thing that I need - unfortunately it's (a) not available in Canada yet (sometime in March according to midiman.ca who are the importers) and (b) the Apple store in the U.S. says it won't be shipping stock until 4-6 weeks. I have a project on the go that would be made a heck of a lot easier by finding a solution quickly!

Is there an alternative, preferably USB keyboard, that people can recommend? The Keystation 49e seems ideal (and cheap!) so if someone knows of a similar solution for a USB-type keyboard and MIDI trigger please let me know.

Thanks a lot,

- smw

Here's the Keystation:
M-Audio Keystation 49e

#2 ·
You'll find any of the M-Audio USB keyboards will work well, but, you'll probably have better luck finding them at music gear stores, ie, Long And McQuade.

(says he who is using his Korg Triton as a controller, talk about overkill!)

#3 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply, but I was at L & M on Friday and they were (woefully!) unable to help - the nearest thing they had was discontinued a while ago and wouldn't work. They hadn't heard of the Keystation 49e, which wasn't exactly reassuring...

Anyone else got any thoughts?

- smw

#5 ·
I was just at Long & McQuade in Windsor..
My results were funny,, everything was super high overpriced..
They had a pro Audio section and had not hear of the m-audio keyboard, nor the iMic.
BUT.. they had also not even heard of GarageBand...Had No clue, said it sounded funny and thought I was mistaken with a program called "reason" heheheh.

oh well,, the was a first and a last time for visiting long and mcQuade...

#6 ·
Heh heh...

I actually held back in my earlier response about L & M; I had a pretty similar experience as yours, left the shop feeling quite annoyed. Now, if I'd wanted a Rickenbacker or a Gretsch, they had an amazing selection. i.e. old-style "real" instruments. But at the Victoria store they had, I think, 4 keyboards, all of them over $1,200 and none of them USB.

I did look at the eKeys 37 (Compusmart has them for $79.99) but it did seem a bit tiny and I'm not sure if it would trigger MIDI. Not much Mac software with them compared to PC, but we're used to that by now.

Oh well. maybe I'll have to work by mouse-click until March.

- smw

#7 ·
Try this: MidiKeys
Not sure if it works with GarageBand, but does work with Reason, Digital Performer, etc. Allows you to use your Mac's keyboard as a virtual keyboard... until you get a "real" keyboard. You might try looking in other music stores, pawn shops for Midi synthesizers, keyboards, etc.(sometimes around $200-300, with built-in sounds as well) but you will still need a Midi interface. The Oxygen (M-Audio) was popular-simple controller w/USB interface for just over $200, new...

#9 ·
L & M guys are going to be concerned mainly with high end software like logic, cubase, live, reason pro tools etc. that's more their thing. Most keyboard/digital depts. in musci stores would shun such software. I am using a Korg 707 right now. 49 full size keys, touch sensitive and aftertouch. really really simple fm synthesizer with midi abilities. It's a loaner for a friend whoe moved to australia! I am concindering grabbing an oxygen 8. This site:

http://moogaudio.com

had some pretty good deals on right now I believe. Get an oxygen 8 keyboard, ableton live and something else for under 400 bucks. I'm pretty sure it was them. Not much on their site, but the contact info is there. alright - dinner time!

#10 ·
RADIOSHACK and SEARS sells both of these models:

Yamaha PSR172
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-YAM-PSR172KIT.html

Casio CTK491
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-CAS-CTK491.html

I got these off the American Music website, but they're both full MIDI compliant 61-key keyboards, they're cheaper than the Oxygen 8 and they come with pressure sensitive keys and foot pedals...

The Casio got some pretty good ratings too. Since they're both MIDI controllers surely they should be supported by Garageband, right?

Anyone know for sure? I was under the impression that all any device has to do is conform to the specifications of 'general MIDI' in order for any MIDI compatible music software to be able to interpret the signals from the hardware? Surely Garageband works with any general MIDI hardware right?

Of course you'll be needing a USB MIDI adapter and I'm a total newbie, so I could be a ways off with regard to features...

Anyone?

#11 ·
Actually looking into it deeper now, you ARE better off with the all-in-one USB MIDI keyboards!

The cheapest USB MIDI adapter that I can find is over $100 US (go figure!) So once you've added them all together, you're better off with the M-Audio or the Oxygen 8...

I did manage to find them on Macmall's site and according to the sales rep. there, it's in stock!

If you can afford to wait a little longer, this HAS to be better than the Oxygen!

[URL to long]

[ January 26, 2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: ehMax ]

#14 ·
MacMall in the US sell the M-Audio Keystation for $79 US (105.049 Cdn at today's exchange rate) - by the way, the price they advertise is $99 - when you add it to your cart, the price drops to 79.99)

I'm thinking of ordering right now...

#15 ·
Wow. great feedback from everyone - love the folks at ehMac!! I'll check out MacMall. US$79 sounds pretty unbeatable. I'm also bidding on an Oxygen8 on Eb*y, will advise as & when things pan out.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

- smw

#16 ·
Bad news Mr. Stewart Wood...

a> The M-Audio Keystation 49e is not available from the manufacturers until February 20th, so MacMall cannot ship a product that isn't even available to them yet...

b> Apparently because of some whacko licensing restriction, M-Audio cannot re-sell them through any vendor to Canadian customers. You'll find that you cannot fill in any of the Country and Province/State fields in the shopping cart area of their site for that very reason. The rep on the phone just told me that because of the licensing restrictions, Canadian customers have no alternative but to wait until a direct Canadian distributor becomes available or Apple Canada sells it through their store, or we purchase it direct from M-Audio...

GAH!!!!!

#17 ·
AHA!!!

Check this out:

http://m-audio.rjmg.com/index.cfm?pid=3286

It appears that M-Audio sell a relatively cheap ($49 US) USB MIDI interface - which will allow you to plug in ANY MIDI compatible keyboard! It's rated as OSX compliant too!!

Perhaps the solution here is to find a cheap (but cool) MIDI KB somewhere and then find a supplier in Canada that can get this unit in stock...

Well, well, well... doesn't MACDOC distribute M-Audio?

http://www.macdoc.com/audio/index.html

Might be worth an email tomorrow a.m. eh?

MACDOC TO THE RESCUE!!!

#18 ·
Thanks troutmagnet. Good stuff! Actually I had a friend order one from MacMall; he comes up to BC pretty much every week from Seattle and was cool about getting me the Keystation. It was only US$79 plus $10 shipping. I guess there'll be customs duty, but even so it's worth the extra wait.

Having said that I know 2 more people that are waiting to see what all the fuss I'm making is about; if the Keystation works as well as I think with GarageBand then I shall put them in touch with MacDoc and see if he can help.

I really appreciate everyone's input. Many thanks!

#19 ·
We are waiting along with the rest but Geoff ( who is a musician himself but plays live ) is also very interested. Watch our web site for arrival.

#20 ·
Thanks troutmagnet. Good stuff! Actually I had a friend order one from MacMall; he comes up to BC pretty much every week from Seattle and was cool about getting me the Keystation. It was only US$79 plus $10 shipping. I guess there'll be customs duty, but even so it's worth the extra wait.
Maybe he could pop by my house in Brantford, Ontario and drop me one off? That would be mighty neighbourly of him... :D

...And the customs duty is only applicable if they FIND it stashed away in his back seat, right?

SO! Macdoc...

Any ideas as to what kind of price you'll be putting on these keyboards when you get them? (Including P&P since I'm a lazy git and don't feel like driving all the way up to Mississauga to grab one?)...

Also, any news on an ETA?

Alternatively, assuming that you currently stock USB MIDI interfaces already - what's the alternative?

#21 ·
the friendly people at saved by technology are often very helpful as well. I am going there this morning to trade a digi 001 for a digi 002! here comes pro tools in panther! They seem to have the keystations, a cheap yamaha and the oxygen 8 for 182. the oxygen says keyboard/controller. Does that mean you don't need a midi interface?

http://savedbytechnology.com

#23 ·
M-Audio must be loving Steve Jobs for this. They've had a love affair going on ever since M-Audio was the first to put out OS X drivers (years before there was any software, and completely abandoning their OS9 driver section I might add).

Jost so everyone knows, these USB keyboards have MIDI built in--you can even plug another midi device in to the back of most of them--so they're basically skipping the step of a Midi interface (which connect via USB anyway).
I have a 20-year old Yamaha keyboard with a Midi out which I run through a Midiman USB Midisport (no surprise--it's a USB Midi interface).
But will it work with Garageband?
Of course!!! Midi is a standard that hasn't changed in 25 years. USB is just a way of getting Midi info into the computer (With CoreAudio and CoreMidi, OS X has made things a lot easier, but you'll still have to check websites and drivers if you're buying some cheap no-name brand).

Also, Midiman and M-Audio are the same company. M-Audio just bought out Evolution and got their keyboards too. They are available in Canada (see link below).

If you're ever thinking of recording live audio, there are also some keyboards (like the M-Audio Ozone) which have 24 bit audio-in, mic pre-amps, and everything. So one 25 key (too small for my taste) keyboard handles midi and audio via one USB port. Would probably make a great companion for an iBook.

But look around, check out http://www.savedbytechnology.com and see all the stuff they have. (at the top, do a Search by category -- midi controllers)

Look at edirol.com too. All OSX compatible.
Spend a few bucks more, and you can have a few knobs and sliders that are programmable too.

Don't wait for a bargain basement product that hasn't even been consumer tested yet (though it's so simple, what could go wrong?) just because it has the Steve Jobs stamp of approval. It's cheap for a reason.

#26 ·
We will have these by the weekend

The Evolution Keyboard

What it has extra over the Apple version
¶ has 61 touch sensitive keys instead of 49
¶ 10 non volatile memories - stored even with power off

What it shares with the Apple version EVERYTHING including
¶ slider and modulation wheel
¶ Pitch bend wheel
¶ includes Mac drivers
¶ sustained pedal input

Also the USB Mobile Preamp for hooking up instruments. See the MacDoc 1/26 post in Everything Else - we'll be adding more details and companion stuff.

One of our staff is a live musician and this is the first time he's got excited about digital music. :eek:
He's been scrounging the details on various goodies to make it all work well at a good price point.

Plonk plonk...that would be me :( :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.