Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did finally update to 10.2.1, but I'm still getting the error message when trying to update with the combo. I'm on dialup here, so nearly 60 megs is nothing but trouble. And I don't like using the Software Update because if you ever have to format, another big download is required. Any other help? Thanks Tomac. I really like the Pismo. OSX is a dandy, too. Hey, why not just stay in 10.2.1 until 10.2.4 comes out?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you tried copying the combo updater off your CD and onto your desktop and trying it there on the local machine?:

It probably wont change anything but you never know...

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I tried that option of dragging it to the desktop, but I still get the same error. I also tried some options that Apple says about troubles with downloads- deselecting "Mount Image", etc. Still no go. I noticed that the .dmg on the dc is only 46.x megabytes. I know the full download is almost 60, but maybe this is compressed(?).

·
Registered
778 Posts
no sir, I would not say it's compressed...

Have you thought about going back to your buddy and getting him to redownload it and burn it onto CD for you?

The other option that you have is when you download from software update in OSX you can have it download the installer to the desktop so you can save it for later in case you have to reinstall the OS.

You're other option is to download the update overnight when you are asleep this way when you wake up in the morning you have the new update and all you have to do is reboot

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just installed OSX 10.2 on partition 1 (12 gigs). I haven't yet installed OS 9. I wanted to update OSX. Anyways, the one who sold me the Pismo burned the 10.2.3 Combo update onto CD. After the initial setup for my Administration Account, I inserted the burned CD. When I double click on the updater, I get this: "Mac OSX Update Combo 10.2.3.dmg failed to mount due to error #39. No such file or directory." What am I doing wrong?
By the way, the seller did also burn the 10.2.1 updater. Am I supposed to run that first? I thought the combo took care of everything since 10.2

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
for your case i would use the update software button and get x.2.3 from the web

get you mac online first

also, i would recommend 9.2.2 to be used in conjunction with x.2.3

good luck

·
Registered
259 Posts
Gotta update 10.2 first with 10.2.1 and then you can update using the combo (10.2.2/10.2.3) update. Glad to see you got a rig Carl

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Apple Error Codes:
-39 End of file error.

This means the file is incomplete. You do not have the complete file, the entire file was not fully downloaded and burned. It is not compressed it is incomplete. If you double click the file it will begin but then comes to and end that it does not expect.

Thus -39 End of file error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts