Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for advice on how to keep my Tiger applications (relatively) functional when I upgrade to Leopard. I have Carbon Copy Cloner. The question(s) is/are:

1. If I make a selective backup, what folders other than Applications to I choose from my current Tiger HD?

2. Once I know which Folders to backup, can I save as a dmg?

3. If I can save as a dmg, how do I restore the Applications to the Leopard system without running into "issues."

I'm just trying to save some time. Don't want to have to re-install from all those disks.

Regards,

Adam

BTW: The machine that I am installing Leopard on currently will not boot due to failed install. Was Tiger running fine > fail install of Leopard > will not boot (stuck at spinning gray wheel). When I boot the machine in target disk or from an install disk, shows the startup disk on bad machine as being 10.5, but again, will not boot into Leopard. I can see all the files on the HD as they formerly were in Tiger and have copied over my user folder.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I have been looking for advice on how to keep my Tiger applications (relatively) functional when I upgrade to Leopard. I have Carbon Copy Cloner.
You are SERIOUSLY overthinking this. 99% of your stuff will work fine, and the remainder will probably require at most a free, automatic upgrade to the latest version.*

*edit: Adobe, MS and certain other high-end apps may require a reinstall/reauthorisation anyway. No way to avoid this in those cases.

Simply make a clone of your entire HD to an external HD. Upgrade to Leopard. Test your apps as you use them. Don't erase the Tiger clone until you're satisfied that everything works (hint: if you've been generally keeping up with updates, you'll be fine).

The question(s) is/are:

1. If I make a selective backup, what folders other than Applications to I choose from my current Tiger HD?
Well that's the problem. Many apps just have the app itself and a pref file (in Users/youraccount/Library/Preferences) but many also have stuff in Application Support (user and/or System/) and perhaps other bits elsewhere. Thus, the recommendation to clone the entire HD above.

2. Once I know which Folders to backup, can I save as a dmg?
Probably a failure of imagination on my part, but ... why? What you'll be saving is far too large to put on anything other than an external HD, so what would be the point of creating a disc image other than to REMOVE the chief functionality of a clone (ie the ability to boot from it)?

3. If I can save as a dmg, how do I restore the Applications to the Leopard system without running into "issues."
See first answer above.

I'm just trying to save some time. Don't want to have to re-install from all those disks.
See first answer above.

BTW: The machine that I am installing Leopard on currently will not boot due to failed install. Was Tiger running fine > fail install of Leopard > will not boot (stuck at spinning gray wheel). When I boot the machine in target disk or from an install disk, shows the startup disk on bad machine as being 10.5, but again, will not boot into Leopard. I can see all the files on the HD as they formerly were in Tiger and have copied over my user folder.
Ah, nothing like not telling the whole story up front!

Let me guess -- you did NOT make a backup before you ALREADY upgraded to Leopard, right? Sigh ... :rolleyes:

Your best bet is to simply re-apply the Leopard Upgrade, this time using the "Archive and Install" option. Your apps won't get touched, your user stuff won't get touched (pat yourself on the back for at least having the sense to back up your user folder), this will just put a fresh, clean install of Leopard aside the "bad" one (it won't erase the "bad" one or any previous system folder, btw).

If you're not using a legit retail copy of Leopard, STOP, go out and buy one, then try again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts