Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow ehmac'ers, i need you help. I'm in negotiations with another ehmac'er (vij) to trade my 14" iBook for his 12" iBook + cash. We both want to be fair about what the cash difference should be, so I thought, who better to ask than the experts here at ehMac.

Here are the specs of my iBook and his:

14" iBook: 900/40GB/384MB/Combo/Airport/3 months old; 9 months apple care remaining

12" iBook: 500/20GB/340MB/Combo/Airport/2.5 years old; no apple care remaining/new battery

I know my book is in mint condition, and I have to trust him when he says that his is too. The whole point of this deal for me is to free up some cash, so it is important for me to research it. Please chime-in ehMac'ers and tell me what you think a good $ value is on the difference.

Thanks,

Hambone

·
Registered
29 Posts
Morning,

Just had an incredibly bad experience with my iBook's logic board failing after 18 months. No problem ever, in great shape, and never even crashed. So I didn't renew the AppleCare and now : total junk.

I'd highly suggest keeping something with AppleCare - particularly on a laptop.

Oh, and the real kicker is that it's manufactured one month before the Apple extended warranty on iBooks. Sigh.

I've learned the hard way that AppleCare rocks.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Thats what I would look at, whether the ibook 500 is covered by the extended warranty.

I think the price difference would be in the 300 range at least. My advice would be to stick with what you have. Your likely going to come out on the short end of this deal, both in value & quality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 1st gen 500Mhz "snow" iBooks were not only the 1st of a new design, but had limited VRAM, slower optical drives, smaller hard drives, older LCDs, etc...

You're gonna feel a MAJOR difference in performance, especially under X. So I would only suggest such a swap if you're needs are basic (email, word processing, etc...), and no Applecare is the kicker. Oh, and LCD lamp life would also be a concern...

Assuming you know this - I'd say the street value of a 12.1" 500 iBook to be $500-$600, while your 14.1" iBook 900's would be $1000-$1300, about double.

Be sure and decide if this is the appropriate move for you. You might be better off picking up a 12.1" 700Mhz model, as these share alot of the later revisions as your 900, and you could still get some dough back !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts