Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very familiar with both PCs and Macs, internet, email, etc., (Macs for the last 4 years, PCs since 1985), however, I never learned how to design web pages. I live in the Niagara Falls area and courses are sparse.

Can anyone suggest a program that can get me started - I have tried Word and then having it convert to HTML and that's so-so, however, I would like to use an actual application program specifically for web design, but have NO idea where to begin. Please give me some suggestions or direction!!

Thanks,
Rachel.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I would highly suggest Dreamweaver MX. You can make web sites from a visual perspective and don't need to know HTML - however, it's an expensive program. There is a free 30 day trial. Very powerful program. That's what I use myself.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Dreamweaver is the industry standard on both PC and mac platforms, so it's worth investing the $ and time. It took me about a weekend to get to grips with basics. The online help is actually better than 3rd party books.

However, if you are only going to design the odd web page to put family pictures etc, I suggest you go for easy options: virtually every new PC is bundled with a basic graphics based/template based web design program. An alternative of course if to use .Mac and iPhotos etc. I don't know about freebees for the Mac beyond this obvious solution.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
You could try the web page composer that comes with Mozilla. It's free, and you can get versions for Windows, Mac OS9, Mac OSX and Linux.
I set up a very basic page for myself without any prior knowledge at all.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I have always believed that using a WYSIWYG program like DreamWeaver or Golive without knowing the basics of HTML and CSS is a bit like taking up trapeze performance without a net. If something goes wrong, it's nice to be able to look at the source code and maybe spot what's causing the difficulty. Just my opinion.

Since you don't know where to start - here's a direction. Learn basic HTML coding. There are dozens of books out there, and lots of tutorials on the Web. You don't need to spend any money, except maybe for the book - you can produce very useful Web pages using a free text editor like SimpleText or BBEdit Lite. You will find this approach highly beneficial even if you eventually decide to spend hundreds of dollars on GoLive or Dreamweaver.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
I second Bill's point.

I learned HTML shortly after the first Mosaic browser went public :eek:

Best advice: pick up an HTML Bible at your local bookstore. Visit pages you think are nicely presented, and look at the source code to see how other people have done it.

I've tried a few WYSIWYG programs, but have never felt comfortable with giving up the control I get by hand-coding it.

One of the best things I've done is pick up BBEdit 6. It has an HTML palette to help you mark up the content easily.

BTW: Start with the content. Too many people sit down and say 'I want to build a webpage' and the content comes as an afterthought. All of the pizzazz in the world is useless if there isn't anything at the heart of it all

M.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Pagespinner is great! It's easy to use and you learn a lot about HTML as you go along.
Check out spinnerworld.com

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

How come no one has suggested borrowing a book from the library? You know, that place with books that you can borrow for 2, 3, or maybe even 4 weeks, for free!

The library should have books on HTML coding and there are probably even books about Dreamweaver. Wow, I am an economist.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts