Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mulling over a purchase of an IBook, but can't decide whether to get the 12.1 or 14.1-inch screen. I wonder if there are any iBook users who can advise me, based on their purchase and use. Is the extra two inches worth the extra cash?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't own a iBook, but I knnow some who do. I have used both the 12.1" and the 14.1" screens. I much prefer the 14.1" because it is much easier to read and look at. The 12.1 is a small screen and when in my prefered 1024 * 768 range, you need a micrscope to read it. The 14.1 displays it in a much easyier to read format and it is usually easier to stare at a big screen then it is to a small one.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Go big, or don't go. :D

Actually, if size is an issue and you want something that will fit insode your hip-sack ;) get the 12" screen.

I had a G3 powerBook for two years and I could not imagine it with a smaller screen. 14" was awesome and all that I really needed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a 14" G3 PowerBook. It was great and I wouldn't have wanted a smaller screen for the work I do. I've seen a few of the 12" iBooks. They're nice but feel a little cramped to me when you've got a number of palettes open. Then again, the computer has a small footprint and is super for working in a confining space when travelling by plane or rail. It'll depend on what your needs and budget demand. Either way, it's a great computer.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Hello,

I must say I prefer the 14.1" to the 12.1" as it is much easier to read and use. Many people argue that the 14.1" model looks ackward as the keyboard is the same size as the 12.1" model. Unless portability is an extreme issue for you, I would go with the 14.1". For me, the iBook is my desktop computer, so I wanted the bigger screen. It was an easy decision for me!

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever model you decide to buy.

James

·
Registered
433 Posts
i have the 12.1" ibook and i PREFER the 12 inch to the 14. It's lighter, and it fits right in my backpack, no prob. (and i don't need a microscope to read the screen like some ehmac-ers.)

but it all depends what you want the 'book for. school? work? fun?

Phil

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
The screens are the same resolution, so you don;t gain or lose any screen real estate by going with a different size.

The best question is what are you using it for? If you are moving around a lot the 12" model wieighs less, and takes up less space in a bag. If you are at home, (and have bad eyes like I do) the 14" is bigger and easier to read.

What are you going to be doing with it?

--PB

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Yes - the use is important. We feel the 14' are too close to the TiBooks in price while the 12" fulfills very well the role of subportable.
The iBook is designed to work at reading distance - in tight to you and the 121 DPi screen works very well for that. It's a personal computer in the best sense of the word - it's small durable and can be used anywhere.

The 14" strays into a full Portable zone in price and screen size but not in function ( no dual video, no pcmcia, drives not upgradeable, smaller workspace ( resolution - 1024x768 is a marginal workspace these days regardless of the screen physical size.)
All of you have identified various delights of the small iBook which is it's strength, "hip-sack", small foot print, lighter, - these are all desirable features of a sub-portable.
My advice - go with the 800/12" or get one of the many used TiBooks floating around right now and go full portable but behind the market. Best use of your money.
The 800/12" is very very good value.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Definitely the 12" (provided you're not over 40 and suffering from accomodation problems). Everything that MacDoc said re: value is correct. The screen in the 12" has a much "crisper" feel by virtue of the higher dpi. I own a Ti 550 and have often thought about replacing it with a 12" iBook (800 combo) for value, portability and b/c I love the sub-note book look and feel.

·
Premium Member
18,007 Posts
This will be my dilemma in the new year as well... currently my thinking is to go for the 12" model and perhaps later add an external monitor for when I'm home... though it would be nice to have a spanned desktop instead of mirrored (though I hear there's a hack for that!).

Then again, there may be another update before I buy....

M

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
I have a 14" iBook, and i am always thinking of new things. I can't decide whether next I will go to a tiBook or to a 12" iBook. Probably a TiBook, but hey, they may yet put a DVD Burner and a 60GB hard drive in an iBook, right? Right?

--PB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.