Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, called Apple canada for support (software related issue) for the first time since I bought my PowerMac G4 DP 1 gig. I bought it used in July 2002 from a seller in Montreal, he upped the memory and added an extra hard drive.

When I spoke to Apple today they said I only had one day left to get the extended Applecare plan at $399.99 (or something like that). I told them I'd get back to them tomorrow. Do you think it's worth it? On one hand $399.99 is a lot of money, but will cover my Mac for the next 2 years at least. I know I should have asked Apple Canada this, but does the fact that I upped th ememory and added a hard drive alter the warranty in any way?

Thanks for your help ehmac!!

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
You're fine with the warrenty
Im torn myself, usually after a year you would notice any problems, so you may not have any, but if kill your keyboard or mouse, you my get them replaced free if you can explain that it was somehow manufaturing defects.
I dont have an answer, for you, Applecare doesnt totally cover you for theft, or any fire , flood or any damage you cause , so, only you can answer the question. $400 is a load of cash true. Ask Macdoc, he would know how many defective MDD Powermacs come back.
I have a mac bought in March of this year, so I will face the same dilemma next year.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Personally, I never get an extened warranty. the last time they threatened to cut off my phone support, I reminded them that I have life time warranty on my Plus and LC 475, and threaten to keep calling back long distance until someone figures out that it is better to deal with me than to piss me off...

for some reason, they do keep mentioning that I should get the extended warranty, but they do keep helping me on the phone (which has been 3 times in the past 4 years - twice since going OS X)

As for the hardware, I've never had anything go wrong in the first 3 years. Or do what my customers at Granada Canada did. Phone in for the warranty, and surprisingly, only a week later they call for service...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would agree with everyone here as it's a waste of money...most of the time...

I have never bought an extended warranty, until I purchased my powerbook G4 800. This thing has been nothing but problems to me. 3 weeks after I got it, the display and the logic board had to be replaced. 3 months ago, the paint around the side started to bubble and I had it replaced.

I decided to purchase the applecare just because of my luck with this thing.... not 2 days after the apple 1 year warranty was up, the logiboard on the display connector as well as my internal hard drive died. Total cost without the Applecare.....over $1800.00 to replace if I didn't have the 539.00 applecare.

This time for me it's worth it. Although I do agree that if you haven't notcied and problems with it before a year is up, chances are you will never have a problem with it. However you also have to look at Apple's new strategic pricing. I am sure in order for them to get the prices down, it is indeed the lowest bidder gets the contract.

·
Registered
645 Posts
From what I have read over the years with regards to Applecare on all Mac forums and sites is this:

1. If you own or plan on purchasing an iBook or Powerbook from Apple, it is recommended to go with the Applecare plan.

2. If you are purchasing anything else besides the above, it becomes a personal thing with regards to warranty issues.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Powerbooks and iBooks ...maybe - the problem being that the type of things that generally occur are NOT covered by warranty and that $500+ goes a long way to fix the things that actually occur like dropped portables or spilled drinks.

Towers it's a waste of money.

New models of portables - say the 17" which is in it's first year should be extended IF you intend to keep the unit. Remember you have a year to renew so assess the machine over the first year.
Many buy the extended then trade the machine out

Even then Apple can be difficult on obvious design flaws ( the TiBooks had a number ) like broken hinges or a broken case on the slot load area - ther was a reason Apple went to the tougher aluminum.
Watch the web for "design issues" for your intended purchase and try and buy a "proven" model.
The difference in failure rate between early models and later gens are enomous.........and of course back that data up...a few hundred spent there REALLY can pay off. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
It's a simple solution. I have had the experience twice. Buy the warranty, and you'll never need it. Don't buy it and you will. Murphy's Law applies without fail here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.