Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a few things -

1. Superdrive. Brand names, speed, price?
2. Analog to digital input for video (same as above)

I also have a question about copying DVDs. I am trying to grab some clips (with the producer's permission) of some movies I have worked on. How would I do this? Is it as simple as cut and paste?

Thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've had the LG 4081b for about a month now, and I can't complain. 8x+R,4x-R, 4x+/-RW, 3xRAM, cd-rw24x8x32. not sure what the read speeds are, but it's fast enough.
I got mine for about $180 with tax at pc gate computer in pacific mall

You can learn how to copy movies at www.dvdrhelp.com it's really easy, but not so easy as cut and paste. Unless you're making a reel, then you might want to use one of the video editing suites.

vince

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Vince,

Thanks for the info. Is that model (LG) supported for Mac? I went to the LG site and it only mentions Windows. $145 seems pretty reasonable...

·
Registered
838 Posts
For windows only should be a suggestion, and never listened too. Will you be using toast? I don't really use the apple burning software, as I only use toast. You should check xlr8yourmac.com for the latest on what other people are saying to see if they're using it with iLife etc...theres also a driver that you need to use that you can download there too. Just look up the drive there.

vince

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have any other info regarding internal DVD drives and analog to digital cards?

Also, went to DVRHELP.COM and find it a bit cumbersome - any other useful(simple) resources for the question of copying DVDs?

Thanks

·
Registered
510 Posts
mrjimmy,

I'm not sure if you're referring to digitize cards or analog - digital convertors...

in any case here's a couple of sites w/ products and prices...

http://www.dvshop.ca/perifs/converter.html

http://www.vistek.ca/details/results.asp?Level1=NON+LINEAR&Level2=CAP+CARDS

Vistek tends to be a bit more expensive but they carry the stock... DV Shop has some items in stock (usually pretty quick turn-around times) and they have knowledgable staff.

I've had personal experience w/ the Canopus ADVC 100 on a previous version of Avid XPressDV... it sucked for what we were using it for. We switched to a more expensive but much better convertor - the DataVideo DAC 100

http://www.datavideo-tek.com/content/product_info/dvformatconverters/dac100/dac100_page.htm

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Correction... for what it's worth...

it wasn't a DAC 100 we had used but rather a DAC 2 (now discontinued) The main difference being the addition of component video in and out on the DAC 2 - nice!

The Canopus ADVC 100 caused me no end of grief due to it's underpowered composite output.It couldn't feed enough signal to a Beta or VHS deck and a monitor at the same time...

The DAC 2 was a pleasure to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts