Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tickets to the Nascar Busch series race, train tickets to Montreal and a hotel... Counting down!! Haven't been this excited since I got in a Richard Petty car for laps at Loudon last summer (going back this September)..

Anyone else going to Montreal for the Busch race??

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have fun!
That is not going to be a problem. Funny stuff has happened already. I was given the tickets for my 61st - and it turned out that because that makes me a 'senior' in the eyes of Via my spouses ticket is free. Apparently us oldies need a companion to stop us drooling on the other passengers, or making funny smells or something.... I'm not sure whether I should feel offended or just take the freebee and laugh..

Hopefully it will be a big success and more Nascar events will come north of the border.
I would love to see more Nascar events in Canada and if you check out Circuit Gilles Villeneuve there is video of Terry Labonte testing at the track and being very complimentary about it - top speeds in excess of 170mph!!! However there is noise from the fanbase because there is no camping at the track - if you follow Nascar at all you will know how important that is. If you want to camp for this one you have to do it miles and miles away - no tailgating! Also noise about hotel prices and availability.. It will be interesting to see how many tickets are actually sold - "good seats still available"!! The Busch crowd is not like the F1 crowd - no pretence to glitteratti, very grass roots.

ps. The video is worth it for the sound alone - nothing, but nothing, has the sound to compare to a big (350 cubic inches - roughly 5.5 litre) V8 motor, unmuffled and in full war cry!!! Crank it up!!!

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the race is going to be held on wich track?

Laterz :)
At Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on the island.

Sanair (despite their claim to being Canada's biggest motorsport facility) seems a little cheesey - their "superspeedway" is a mere 9/10 mile and I don't think it is set up for the big Busch cars. Their "stock car" track is 1/3 of a mile!

The road course at Saint Jovite was excellent in its day (back when I was about 20!!! - I used to race a "prodified" MGB there) and I understand it has been modernised so that actually might be a choice if the fans aren't thrilled with Montreal - see comments above.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
However there is noise from the fanbase because there is no camping at the track - if you follow Nascar at all you will know how important that is. If you want to camp for this one you have to do it miles and miles away - no tailgating! Also noise about hotel prices and availability..
There is no room for camping - unless they want to park in the water basin!

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Wow that will be interesting to see, I've been there many times to see the F1 Race and I think the circuit will be a challenge on the Nascar's brakes it is on the F1 cars. I'm also interested in the lap times and compared them to the F1 lap times.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow that will be interesting to see, I've been there many times to see the F1 Race and I think the circuit will be a challenge on the Nascar's brakes it is on the F1 cars. I'm also interested in the lap times and compared them to the F1 lap times.

Well Hamilton took the McLaren round in 1:16.071 for the F1 pole this year. It'll be interesting to see. Terry Labonte spoke of exceeding 170mph (273kph) on the main straight in the Busch test. Wurz (fastest flat out speed on the day) took the Williams to 323kph at about the same spot. The Busch cars make about the same horsepower as the F1 but the cars weigh about 4+ times as much... We'll see. In terms of on track action the F1 parade can't touch the bump and grind of the Nascar style... I'll try to get some decent shots to post. In racing as a spectator sport, speed isn't everything.

·
Registered
429 Posts

I wonder how these cars will deal with the "Wall of Champions"?

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts