Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a look at this link and then post your comments.

NASA reviews the G5 for fluid dynamics work

Any insights by ehmac citizens such as jfpoole, macspectrum, mannyp, heart, ehmax, chealion, etc. would be most appreciated...

Did I leave any of our line-code/command-line types out? Have I missed any of this community's top computer savvy experts?

If so, sorry. It's rather late at night, and I can't recall all of the important names at this particular moment.

Speak up on this if you have any sort of opinion at all.

I, for one, will be listening. With great interest.

Trust me on this.

[ July 18, 2003, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: macnutt ]

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

( shameless bump-while-looking-for-real-opinions-among-the-Mac-and-other-type-computer-savvy )

Honest...what do all of you think of this?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,530 Posts
Macnutt, I call this group with the technical expertise the "Mac Mavens". To get them to use their super hero powers, beam an Apple logo up into the night sky. Someone will respond to your call.

I read the specs, but I am not getting a G5 for the "I have more power than you" factor, but rather, so that I am able to get a Mac that will be upgradable for years to come. We shall see.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
MacNutt, you're still catching up I see. Nobody is replying because that review is old news. There's another thread kicking around somewhere that mentions it.

It was quite the discussion topic a week or more ago. Here's a thread an update on the topic at MacNN - the NASA guy tries to clear up some of the confusion on the report. Frankly the report goes over my head.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
You'll need a quadruple G8 to handle the calculations of fluid dynamics for the behaviour of TopFuel in your drag bike....

It wasn't an official NASA review it was a guy who has found an excellent series of calculating efficiencies based on the SIMD instruction set (Altivec). His code ran well on G4's.

It will be good to see some real use comparators of speed. We all have a good idea of G4 performance in the real world. I would like to see how the G5 stacks up against what we know. It should be very good, but how good?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
used to be jwoodget said:
It will be good to see some real use comparators of speed. We all have a good idea of G4 performance in the real world. I would like to see how the G5 stacks up against what we know. It should be very good, but how good?
Yes, this is what I am waiting for before I buy a G5. I know the G5 is better than a G4, but how much better? It's nice Apple compared them to a P4, but I don't have a P4. I have a G4 and that's what I want it compared to.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
kosh,

Considering the fact that the G5 is either as fast or faster[1] than most P4s, and considering the fact that the P4 is faster than the G4s, then I think it's fairly safe to say the G5 is faster than the G4 (and by a significant margin, too)

[1] Depending on who you're talking to and what benchmarks they're running, of course.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Well, I have to wait until after I move into the new house, buy new appliances, and get unpacked anyways. The budget looks good, though. Looks like I may actually have enough left over for a G5 after all that.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Being "faster" isn't the issue, it's how much faster? We all assess our potential purchase options by comparing what we have with what we could have. Currently, the G5 benchmarks are contentious but promising. The chip, along with the new bus architectures look to signficiantly surpass current offerings. But in real world conditions, using the apps we know and love, how much faster is the G5 powermac compared to the current G4s? 1.5X, 2X, more?

We won't know till late August (with 10.2.7). Will be interesting to see what effect Panther has too (on G5 performance).

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
jwoodget,

I'm not sure if you watched the WWDC keynote, but they compared a dual G5 with a dual Xeon[1] using real world apps, and the dual G5 was over twice as fast. I even got to play with a G5 system at WWDC and it's amazingly responsive.

The only problem is that they're big and made out of aluminum. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get one in the house without C noticing.

[1] A Xeon is an SMP-enabled P4

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
jfp,

Yeah, I watched it (but not from your vantage....). It's the Jobs RDF that partly concerns me. There's no question in my mind that the G5 is a kickass machine but I'd really like to see a review by someone independent of Apple.

I'm also wondering how to sneak it past my own "C"
Indeed, my C thinks it looks ugly and big. She likes the iMac and is less interested in performance than how it'll fit into the decor. "It isn't even painted!" is where the conversation ended last time.... Maybe I'll spray paint it pink

We should band together (at least share tactics...)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts