Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

NAS suggestions for a MBP with Mountain Lion

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  MacUnited 
#1 ·
I don't usually look at the flyers that cover my driveway every weekend, but it was the boxing week and I was curious. I opened the Futureshop one and saw the Western Digital MyBook Live, a 2TB external Drive that promises to work to Time Machine to wirelessly backup the mac, also works with windows AND what really sold me on it was the ability to create your own cloud service. All nice and dandy until I went and bought it. connected it to the router and tried to install, the MBP won't even see it.
I tried the windows laptop, and the install was done in 2 mins.
I tried everything with the MBP and it won't see it. I connected it directly through the Ethernet cable. it was there. but utility disk won't recognize it so I couldn't formatted for mac, I took it back and the futureshop guys couldn't help.
Now my question is, anybody had any luck with this particular product? or any NAS for mac?
I really don't like using dropbox or box or any cloud service that I don't know where the data is stored and who "actually" has access to it..
input will be much appreciated..
and a happy new year!! :D

#3 ·
Synology has worked well for me, been online now for 4+ years with a DS107e.
Handles my Time Machine backups for 4 Macs plus my media libraries.
Good support for apple computers, also I notice a lot of new models since I purchased mine.

#4 ·
Another +1 for the Synology NAS. I have the DS212j which has worked flawlessly for over 8 months as a media server for the house and as a time machine backup for my multitude of Macs.

There are more programs on there than I'll ever use, but I'm just starting to play with the web server tools, seems a logical thing to try next

#5 ·
in order for me to use a non apple time machine (NAS) I've always had to put the following command within a terminal screen. afterwards time machine will see the non-apple hd available as a backup device.

sudo defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

#10 ·
Mountain Lion 10.8.2

so here's what happens, I connect the NAS to the router.. the MBP will not recognize it as a disk, only as a shared drive.
I connect the NAS directly to the MBP, and only if I turned it off then on after it's connected, it is there and I can use the Time Machine backup.
You think the only thing missing is that terminal command??
I might have to run back to futureshop to get the NAS! lol

#13 ·
I still recommend recycling an old apple or windows machine, put in a ton of drives, and share it on the network, cheapish, yes may suck more electricity, but atleast upgradeable without magical proprietary software. did it with my quadcore pc, created a hackintosh and voila..! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.