Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating a new iPod. The corporate refurb prices are quite tempting right now... I can get a 4 gig refurb nano (current gen) for $145, or a 30 gig refurb video iPod (current gen) for $199. I know it's only $55 difference, but what i'm wondering is if any of you with the 4 gig nano wish you had sprung for the 30 gig? Viewing video on 2.5 inch screen doesn't really interest me... and I have about 10 gigs of music...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Personaly, I would go ahead and spend the extra 50 bucks for the video for 2 main reasons.

1) I hate the way this generation nanos look/feel in my hand... and...

2) I would much rather have to much space..than too little. You never know when/if your music library is going to grow. And it plays games :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Will you use the iPod a lot at the gym or bumping it around a lot?

If so, get the Nano, it's lighter and skip-proof.

If not, get the Video -- almost 10 x more storage (which isn't just for music - especially with disk mode enabled). I thought I'd never watch Video on my iPod and I find myself doing it more and more. :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with fyrefly, and also I find with my 4Gb Nano I have more songs on there then I can listen to at anyone time plus I add and delete podcasts all the time and still have a bit of space left just in case something comes a long.

So, I guess it depends on what you are going to do with it.

·
Premium Member
17,998 Posts
As a Nano owner, I would suggest the 30-gigger. The Nano is a great form-factor for some, but when I'm running, I much prefer the Shuffle. In the gym, for example, on the treadmill / cycle / cross-trainer, the weight isn't important because there's a place to put the larger iPod (where you can actually see the screen). It's a needs-assessment. What do you need? For me, the storage space and video capability would be the selling points. YMMV.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I jog and my larger iPod is a pain in the ass... so nanonanonano.

Anything where you're requiring portability, the nano's better. Going nightclubbing, you could take the nano with while you're travelling there. Walking the dog, nano will fit in a small wristlet with your keys.

Carrying around a huge backpack all the time with a ton of crap or fly a lot or use the iPod to attach to a car stereo or something, might as well get a bigger iPod.

In the gym, for example, on the treadmill / cycle / cross-trainer, the weight isn't important because there's a place to put the larger iPod (where you can actually see the screen)
See, I do this but it's still annoying because then your head is literally attached to wherever you have tried to "balance" the iPod (or in the cupholder thing). And you have earphone cords swinging in front of you. And honestly, you really don't need to look at the screen unless you're changing or adding something to a playlist (exception would be if you're watching video, but I wouldn't really dig that while working out.) With the nano, you can actually attach it TO you (I've attached my iPod to myself but it's actually bigger than my wrist, which is where I'd want to have it, and it's heavy so it's kind of annoying to have it at your waist, especially if it's in a case with a clip, which adds bulk.)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered the 30 giger! I dont' run (always been a swimmer) so size isn't an issue for me. If I do want something smaller then I could always use my Wife's nano if I ask really nice:)

Here's hoping it comes really soon! Has anyone ordered a refreshed video iPod recently? Any idea on the wait time? My order said earliest delivery would be next Thursday...

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
The delivery is usually pretty fast. People have had the refurb 2 Gig Nanos ship out same day. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.