Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Rick
tell me what you want to accomplish
I havent installed mysql on my own mac, but I have written many php scripts that work fine with mysql on apache
Did the mysql and php installs go normal
also check out php.net for help
Is it the php scripts you have a problem with or setting up mysqlalso try downloading
PhpMyadmin to admin istrate mqsql through a html page
and also cocoaMysql is worth a look, but I haven tried it yet as I dont have 10.2 yet

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Rick
i was just thinking and you can make a bulletin board program without a database.
just use text files instead with php scripts saving the html form contents to files and then just write to screen, edit and delete features and formatting can be added later if you want

this a lot more work but can be done in a day or two's work to make a simple one

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
RicktheChemist wrote:
MySQL was a pin in the ass...

As the saying goes, open source software is free only if your time is worthless :D

Why, no, I don't work on a product that offers similar functionality to MySQL! Why do you ask ;)

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Rick
There is a book called PHP and Mysql
I used a book in most of my scripts called Professional PHP prgramming by Wrox press, this one also has a big section on Mysql ,

jfpoole
You are not making sense here
PHp is jsut as easy or easier than ASP, Cold Fusion, or JSP. Ooops, Jsp is open source too, and Cold Fusion is dying off , which leaves good ol Microsoft with ASP.
Tell why we should pay lots of cash for a product when PHP will do the same?
and Mysql once installed uses standard sql statements just like any other dbms, minus some of the goodies on expensive items like Oracle.
For someone who is putting together a web site with less than 10,000 hits a hour, Mysql should give most features you need and added features can be contructed using PHP, HTML, XML and javascript, all of which can be on the same script.
For a small business it only makes sense to use open source stuff for economic reasons.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
minnes wrote:
You are not making sense here

If you've read any of my other posts on ehMac, you'll see that's a fairly common occurence :D

and Mysql once installed uses standard sql statements just like any other dbms, minus some of the goodies on expensive items like Oracle.

Some goodies like, oh, transactions, row-level locking, stored procedures, or triggers. If you're building a database that only deals with a simple, light workload, then MySQL isn't a bad choice. Otherwise, you're going to have to go with a commercial solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
> If you're building a database that only deals with a simple, light workload, then MySQL isn't a bad choice. Otherwise, you're going to have to go with a commercial solution.

That's for a lot more than just a database. OpenSource is great for many many things, but you sometime need more than just something that works. But, for any hobby projects, open source will do fine.

Let's not go off topic here.

-Volt.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
ehMac could be written in PHP and mySql and work just fine witt all the same features, for example

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
When I first started using mySQL and PHP oh some 3 years ago I thought it was tough at first.

After a while you get very proficient at it. I can setup a Linux or OS X system with mySQL, Apache and PHP in very little time even if I compile it from scratch.

The possibilities with this combination is incredible and far easier to code than .ASP sinc its so similar to C or Perl syntax.

Right now I'm putting the finishing touches on a Quark workflow system written entirely in Perl and uses mySQL as a backend. It will be released as a commercial application for high-volume production environments. I've been working on this project for about 2 years now.

Anyone in the printing business interested? We're going to sell it for $8999 US.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Macgenius
yes I took a couple of c and c++ courses before learning php, so it was similer to that stuff in terms of syntax.
But PHP is always used with other technologies and it is the interaction of HTTP, PHP, HTML, XML, Javascript , MySql, Posgres etc that add the to the learning curve and make more interesting possibities
These technologies work in ways that would be incredibly difficult with C, if you had to work from scratch
And new functions are being developed all the time for PHP making development even easier in the future.

Macgenius, is it worth learning Perl in my situation?
Where is perl used these days?
Is there much call for it from employers?

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
Macgenius
yes I took a couple of c and c++ courses before learning php, so it was similer to that stuff in terms of syntax.
But PHP is always used with other technologies and it is the interaction of HTTP, PHP, HTML, XML, Javascript , MySql, Posgres etc that add the to the learning curve and make more interesting possibities
These technologies work in ways that would be incredibly difficult with C, if you had to work from scratch
And new functions are being developed all the time for PHP making development even easier in the future.

Macgenius, is it worth learning Perl in my situation?
Where is perl used these days?
Is there much call for it from employers?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my case this application was coded in Perl since it is run from the command line. I could just just as easily coded it in PHP however I wanted a more direct UI approach. Doing it in PHP would have added another layer (Apache) that would have slowed down the processing speed.

This application is WICKEDLY quick. I've seen others try and code the same type of thing in AppleScript trying to access the data in other types of structures (flat files, FileMaker Pro, etc...) and mine is easily 100 times faster than those.

The idea was to code this in a language that just about all UNIX distros have and that was Perl. As for the database,I shose mySQL since its optimized for SELECT statements, free and interacts with Perl via DBI and DBD very easily.

As for Quark, yes I hate that bugger and I've targeted it for those users, for the time being. I'm still investigating doing an XML module to do the same thing for InDesign. Time will tell on that one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts