Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work this morning, I had 20 odd emails in my inbox... I deleted all of them immediately...

Problem is, I work for a very large IT consulting firm with a large technical support and security staff...

Expect Internet to be dog slow in the next days...

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Not to sound smug, but it's at times like this that I really appreciate how Macs are superior machines to their poor PC counterparts.

As of Microsoft's much vaunted secure computing initiative, keep reaching for that rainbow, guys.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Now MS uses clever guys. Loads of them. They pay well and are one of the most admired companies on campuses around the world.

So why do they write OS software full of holes?

Beats me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So why do they write OS software full of holes?

Beats me
I think it has to do with the OS root. Whatever smart they are, they just CAN'T patch these holes without rewriting the OS...

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I think it has to do with the OS root. Whatever smart they are, they just CAN'T patch these holes without rewriting the OS...
Which stems from the OS being designed improperly in the first place. This is a result of Microsoft not thinking about the end-user first, but rather thinking about themselves and fellow vendors, first: "Lets leave all the ports open, so we can inundate them with ads and "assistants".

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
An (always) entertaining look from As the Apple Turns:

http://www.appleturns.com/scene/?id=4470

And LOOKIE HERE! It seems that seems that "somebody" thinks that ermail viruses are good for the Windows platform! Get a load of THIS article title!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/35145.html

Gates says, "It would be wrong to say an operating system is more secure because nobody is attacking it,"

You know, he's right. It WOULD be wrong to base your trust in the obscurity of an operating system. It would however be VERY RIGHT to trust it because IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE MORE SECURE. no OS is perfectly secure, but some are more secure by design than kthers, and Microsoft screwed up Big Time with Win XP.

Another article:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39143723,00.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Again, I'm so happy that I use a Mac. At work this morning I was as usual getting greif from co-workers about how I should use a "real computer". Only moments later they were all running about to patch all the PC to avoid the meltdown ;)

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
I just spent all of yesterday and all of today patching, updating virus definitions and chasing down the latest viruses of the day.

First it was the [email protected] worm, then today it was the [email protected] worm.

Annoying little things.

And people ask me why I use a Mac.

But then again, maybe it's a good thing Windoze is so insecure. This way the script kiddies won't get the idea to mess with my Mac.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Webs been a bit slow today - likely virus traffic???

Can we reserve a clean web sir please. :D

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
According to the current literature, it's Microsoft's security patches that are a major part of current malware development.

Essentially the introduction of a patch, by necessity tested only on a limited number of systems, will introduce new holes in the architecture. As one security pundit explained, it's a "race to see who can examine and release the first virus or worm that exploits the new vulnerability" the patch almost inevitably creates.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After reading the absolutely inane statements made by Bill Gates, I am left wondering whether he sells inferior operating systems or the latest recipe for snake oil.

If we are to believe his reasoning, it is better to have operating systems with flaws because it leads us all to be more aware, therefore, of what can, potentially, bring the house of cards tumbling. We learn by our mistakes, they make us stronger, is his mantra.

Give me a *&$%&^&^& break!!

After being an MS DOS, then Windoze user, since 1985, I finally saw the light in 1999 and have never looked back. I am still converting those on the dark side, and we all, this week, have sat back and watched the mayhem that Gates thinks is a "good thing". Look where that reasoning got Martha Stewart.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ... It's wrong to say an operating system is more secure because nobody is attacking it. ..." Absolutely correct, Billy.

But it's only correct because Bill added the anecdotal explanation for Microsoft's vulnerability. It's perfectly fine to say that a specific "operating system is more secure" than Windows, when it's supported by fact and not conjecture about why it's so.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Anyone noticed how these latest attacks are called internet viruses and not Windows viruses in various press clippings? Microsoft has done a nice job of getting their fingerprints wiped off all of the press coverage.

This is a Windows problem. This is a price for using Windows. There are alternatives. Sanity in computing is possible.....

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
That's a very astute observation and one that I hadn't noticed till you pointed it out.

Wordplay is seldom an accident in press copy. So why are so many outlets referring to it as an Internet virus. Here's a thought: could it have something to do with the fact that Microsoft is a major purchaser of advertising among major publications and TV and that no one wants to point the find too much for fear of losing that much-needed revenue? Nah. That's just crazy....

Windows is fundamentally flawed in ways that Mac OS X is not. The reasons are many and mostly boring, but there has been a long discussion about this on arstechnica...

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Anyone noticed how these latest attacks are called internet viruses and not Windows viruses in various press clippings?
i wonder if M$ has been threatening lawsuits for using the word "Windows" when referring to computers?
OR
it could just be very good spin doctoring by M$

Billy is really getting his money's worth!! :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
I got the MyDoom virus three times this morning in my email. Didn't do anything to my pc though. If I had norton i would have gotton infected, but I don't have norton cause its piece of $hit. I have AVG 7.0 Antivirus. It caught the file as soon as my email started coming down the line. I think if people pay a little more attention to their email, they wouldn't get infected.

·
Registered
590 Posts
About all the holes in windoze. There is a great bill gates strategy behind that. You see, you can sell a product that will always work great for a price on the market (like a mac). But if you sell a product thats not complete or begins incompatible as time goes on, its going to need to be upgraded (windoze). So these two products have been sold but one needs an upgrade. So you must sell the upgrade to the consumer, which brings in more money for you. So this is how bill sees it. You must always sell an incomplete product so people will by the upgrade for more money, thus making you richer!

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
CNN doesn't seem to think it's a Window's prob:

"Computers running any of the latest versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system are at risk of being infected, although the worm doesn't exploit any flaws in Windows or software.

Instead, MyDoom is designed to entice the recipient of an e-mail to open an attachment with an .exe, .scr, .zip or .pif extension."

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
MyDoom is an interesting critter. The backdoor feature makes life finding it on a massive network very easy. It's just a simple case of port scanning your network. Takes about 10 minutes and we know what computers have been infected.

Now if only our network hadn't been hosed today with either the DHCP server eating something bad or someone eating up all our IPs with the same MAC Address. :confused:

If any one has a really good guide or For dummies book on this stuff I'd be glad to read it as I'm right at the limit of my knowledge about networking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts