Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, a dialogue appeared on my screen that read something along the lines of "A USB device is drawing too much power. The port it is attached to will be deactivated." But no matter how many times I clicked OK, the dialogue wouldn't disappear.

I thought maybe that the problem was with my USB PCI card. But even after getting another card, plus a usb hub, the problem was still there.

The culprit turned out to be my 1-month old icekey. It stopped working after that, always causing that dialogue box to pop up. I guess it also affected my mouseman because it started exhibiting some weird behaviour.

Well, this week I got a Macally optical trackball and it worked fine. Today I got another icekey, plus an icemouse, and they work great.

So, almost $100 later, I have a full working usb desktop again.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I had a similar error message, But I unplugged the offending
hard drive and then I went out and bought an A/C powered hub.

I plugged all the lower powered USB stuff into the hub and the
higher powered stuff is plugged into the card.

The offending message has never reappeared.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think from now on I will use a hub. There's a feature with hubs called "overcurrent protection" which I think would have helped me.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I had the same thing with a 2 or 3-year old optical mouse (MacAlly iOpti Jr.) through the hub on the keyboard. The keyboard was brand new so I thought that the keyboard was at fault, but then I tried other mice and couldn't replicate the error. The mouse hardly works at all anymore.
So, do devices having difficulty really demand more power, or is the hub trying to give it more power to make it work?
The last words of a dying USB device...
But yeah, I haven't had any problems with hubs since the early Jaguar kernel panic days, so that's a good way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts