Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Patrick, karma knows no boundaries, no geographical limitations, no directionality. It can be ethereal as the warm gentle wind that comes in from seemingly every direction, or it can be solid like a massive bolder deposited by the unidirectionality of a long-ago glacier.

Thus, each may seek comfort and tranquility in their own manner, in their own space, in their own timeframe. This opportunity for reflection allows a person the focus he/she needs to deal with the myriad of situations that confront a person on a daily basis. It involves no mystical powers, just the willingness to see things as they actually are against the perspective of how things might be.

·
Banned
14,046 Posts
jwoodget,
nah, no bunkers here.
just stand there and take it.
after all they are only literary barbs and not real military ordinance.

words may hurt but they don't rush you to the ER for that

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Patrick, I like that phrase "the spiritual sherpa" of ehMacLand. Still, regardless of what Macspectrum might think is on my mettings calendar, I am influenced by many, but request that no one take my path. Each person should find there own path, follow it as far as they desire or are able. Each person has their own sack of rocks to carry on this journey. Still, the wise person lays down a rock at various points along the journey. It is like the Inukshuk.

Initially, the Inukshuk was to communicate direction in the harsh and desolate Canadian Arctic. It has been written that "The Inkushuk is a tangible symbol of communication -- a universal means of speaking about our concerns for one another, and our dependence on one another. Because of its history and story, the Inukshuk is an effective vehicle to acknowledge and convey an enlighteded personal contribution, responsible environmental leadership and an invitation to speak with one another on a higher level about what really matters."

This is what I believe in and others are free to believe in whatever they so choose. Enlightenment is not a destination but a personal direction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For Plato, philosophy was the search for Essence, because Essence is immutable. Kierkegaard proposed the notion that truth lies in subjectivity, and that true existence is achieved by intensity of experience and feeling. Somewhere out there is the personal truth for each one of us. However, many are looking for this truth too high up and too far away.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
MacDoxie, what about Hegel, who believed in universal reason. He tells us that out thoughts and feelings have meaning solely because each thought and each feeling is bound to our personality. This personality has meaning only because it takes place in a history and a state, as a "special epoch in the evolution of the universal idea". Hegal contends that to understand anything that happens in our inner life we must go to "...the totality which is our self, thence to the larger totality which is the human species, and finally to the totality which is the absolute Idea."

This is the conception which Kierkegaard, whom might be considered the founder of the "philosophy of existence", attempted to contradict.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Hey! Pamela's on the west coast! The best way to find relaxation is to spark up a big splifter and walk on the beach! Or stay inside and eat Doritos while watching Get Smart reruns...

Either way, you'll forget all about Apple's marketing techniques for a few hours...

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
It's Hegel - not what you do over bagel prices - and he's a dualist but that's niggling - I'm liking this split personality emanating or is that eminenting ;) from our East coast.
The Oracle of ehMac. :eek:

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Macdoc, my apologies to Hegel (might you pass them along, SVP?). This is the learning disabled Dr.G. speaking (via the written word). I know the correct spelling, but I am forever getting certain letter combinations confused (as in nickel/nickle. pickel/pickle, Hegal/Hegel, bagel/bagal, etc) due to latent dysgraphia. "Eminent" means "prominent", and "emanate" means "to come from or forth"

"The Oracle of ehMac"? No, just me, myself and I.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dr.G., a valid point pertaining to Hegel, in that he differed from many others by his ininstence upon "Becoming" and the importance which he assigned to this notion of being. Nevertheless, Hegel believed in a universal reason. For him, the world is the necessary "unfolding of the eternal Idea", and that freedom is necessity understood.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.