Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,057 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pamela:
hhhmmm...jb22 has a point. Should I just be keeping my PC?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can if you wish, but the Mac side I can say is generally much nicer then the PC side, although the Mac side does have some faults of its own (mostly stemmed from Apple and people being unhappy with some of their decisions). Don't regret your "Switch" unless you really find that switching destroyed your life. Time will tell.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,154 Posts
640 bit processors! You'll be waiting for a bit longer than August....

What is different about Apple compared with Intel? It isn't just about processor speed. It about the computer, the OS, the integration of the applications with the hardware (the iApps), the fact that you don't get vuiral infections every couple of days (or have to run checks every so often), the fact that Mac's "just work" better. There's nothing wrong with Dells, just like there is nothing wrong with a Honda Civic.

Don't switch unless you've a good reason because it'll definitely be a hassle (especially if you have a big investment in PC applications).

And what's with Intel vs Apple future releases? Centrino runs at 1.6 GHz but is 15% faster than a P4. Intel has not been sticking to its roadmap lately (vis a vis the next generation of chips) and has been downplaying 64 bit processors. You can *always* get a better computer if you wait - its not Apple that's a fault. Maybe they should just stop innovating?

Seriously, if you are worried about being burned by the next version of a computer then don't buy at the peak of the range. And although you'll find that people on this board are quite happy to throw rotten vegetables at Apple when it does something stupid, its not a forum for espousing the virtues of PC versus Macs. That's like bringing religion into the Iraqi war.... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Unfortunately, this is par for the course for Apple. They have a very well documented history of announcing products and then taking months to deliver them.

It is very annoying, and I'm sure they lose many, many sales over such practices. I suspect that they would do better if they would announce a product once they have a warehouse full of them ready to ship.

The consumer has a certain timeframe when they will say "what the hell" and buy a new product if for no other reason than it's "new". If they are given too much time to ponder these decisions, they will quite often change their minds...

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
pamela typed:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> hhhmmm...jb22 has a point. Should I just be keeping my PC? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After all that kvetching about not getting your Mac and then trying to get a used, but latest model, 1GHz 17" iMac and now you want to keep your PC?

Oye !!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macspectrum:
pamela typed:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> hhhmmm...jb22 has a point. Should I just be keeping my PC? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After all that kvetching about not getting your Mac and then trying to get a used, but latest model, 1GHz 17" iMac and now you want to keep your PC?

Oye !!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See what happens when Apple gives me 2 months to think about my purchase? Thank for proving mine and robthegob's point.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Pamela, do as I do and call it "meditation, reflection and contemplation", so that you won't be accused of procrastination. Look at me, I was intending to get the original iBook, which is why I joined this discussion forum of Canadian Mac users. Even though I have not yet purchased the "Mac of my dreams", I have not jumped back to the "dark side". Keep the faith and be patient.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
Pamela, do as I do and call it "meditation, reflection and contemplation", so that you won't be accused of procrastination. Look at me, I was intending to get the original iBook, which is why I joined this discussion forum of Canadian Mac users. Even though I have not yet purchased the "Mac of my dreams", I have not jumped back to the "dark side". Keep the faith and be patient.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

okey dokey...that's what I'll call it then. But I think apple is the one that's really procrastinating here...I'm ready to BUY! lol

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Y'know I never really understood what all the fuss was about regarding benchmarks. For me, the distinction between running Photoshop in 4 seconds and 2.5 second means little. Given that I write for a living, when people ask me: "hey, how fast is your Mac?" I say: "hey, that all depends, how fast can you type?" Reliability and ease-of-use, on the other hand, now those are things that I can measure in dollars and sense. Less wasted time means more time to be productive (to do things like, say, post stuff on ehMac).

Similarly, I could care less about whether my G4 someday gets trumped by a 64-bit whatever. When I bought my newest addition to the fleet, the last thing I worried about was whether something better or faster would come along. Be it Mac or PC, computers have an 18-month shelf-life, tops...and you can always sell what you buy later on and get the newest thing.

Ultimately, as a small business owner, you'll still be further ahead with the Mac than you will with a PC. How so, you ask? Here are some home-made benchmarks to consider, based on my experiences as a Mac and PC user:

1. Time wasted (in seconds) fixing computer
Mac | -
PC | ===========================

(that's about 60 seconds versus...ummm...let's say about a week, maybe two)

2. Time spent rebooting/reformatting after experiencing my well-documented Blue Screen of Death vs. kernel panic
Mac | -
PC | =======================

(BTW the kernel panic was thanks to Sharity, the BSODs were thanks to my unreasonble expectation that I should be able to get my PC to do complicated things, such as printing (come to think of it, Apple should have used my printing story in the ad).

3. Time spent saying "geeeeezzzz...stupid, evil, cheese-eating Windows!"
Mac | 0
PC | ================(right off the scale)

PS I hope you know that this post is all in good fun, Pamela. I really hope your new PB arrives soon. Imagine the thread that will be generated from well-wishers!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
hehehe....nice post Patrick ;)

oh I'm looking forward to the switch. Like I said before it'll be a nice change of scenery!

This post *did* start out about me wanting to hurry up the switching process by buying a different mac so I could have it asap....then *somebody* started talking about speed, and obsolescence?!?!?! THAT FREAKED ME OUT! lol

My husband just got a kayak, so I can't afford the second computer now (I was going to pick up an imac and then the powerbook, and just have 2 computers in the house like I do now)...so I have no choice but to be patient it seems and wait for my much needed and desired 17" PB :( :D

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Pamela, your personal mantra shall be "daisy doxie". You are to think this phrase as you slowly breathe in, and then softly say this phrase as you exhale. Think calm thoughts, peaceful thoughts, not letting outside factors and disappointments intrude upon your solitude. Drift along in this solitude and experience you own personal oneness.

Then, whatever Apple does or does not do, will not cause you stress, because you shall not let THEIR procrastination in filling your order intrude upon your "quiet place". Paix.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Pamela, your personal mantra shall be "daisy doxie". You are to think this phrase as you slowly breath in, and then softly say this phrase as you exhale. Think calm thoughts, peaceful thoughts, not letting outside factors and disappointments intrude upon your solitude. Drift along in this solitude and experience you own personal oneness.

Then, whatever Apple does or does not do, will not cause you stress, because you shall not let THEIR procrastination in filling your order intrude upon your "quiet place". Paix.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*auummmmm* *auummmmm* *auummmm* *falling into a deep traaaannnceee*

lol

if onlylife were this easy. school is freaking me out the most right now though. maybe i should start that mantra.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Pamela, it is the soft "d" in "daisy doxie" that causes the inner calm. "*auummmmm* *auummmmm* *auummmm*" is the mantra for Allen Ginzberg, the author of "Howl". You have your personal mantra, now you must use it wisely to focus. Inner peace is like looking upon external beauty, in that all can see this beauty, but only the poet is able to understand this fleeting beauty.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
jwoodget, your mantra shall be "dancing doxies". Breathe in ........breathe our.....breathe in............breathe out..............dancing doxies............

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
jwoodget, your mantra shall be "dancing doxies". Breathe in ........breathe our.....breathe in............breathe out..............dancing doxies............<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks Dr.G. How did you like my refrain on jwoodget's last little jab ;) I was close to posting a strong reply a couple times but I just chanted my mantra after every urge and I became one with my balanced self again

hehe
:mad:
his day will come....oh boy will it...

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Pamela, as your serenity teacher, I shall request that you do not fret over "jabs" or "shots", but focus upon the state of tranquility that is your inner self. Imagine that you are a blue wind chime, and a summer's breeze has caused you to stir from your serentiy. It's gentle chime and tranquil movement speaks to all who will listen -- "I am in comfort...........I am at peace". Thus, be gentle with those that mean you no actual harm, and think not evil of them. For there is far too much evil in the world, and you need to maintain your sense of inner calm and balance.

Daisy doxie, daisy doxie........breathe in and then breathe out...........daisy doxie (be sure to emphasize both syllables in each world, which is symbolic of the duality between good and evil, chaos and calmness).

41 - 60 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.