Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I THINK you should wait until June when WWDC 2003 comes around and then you'll KNOW what to do. The Mac faithful will probably find out when/if Apple is moving to 64-bit architecture in the near future. Apple laptops are the most risky product you can buy at this point -- speedwise they're amateurish compared to P-M, P4-Ms which may cost HALF as much. I'd be screaming and kicking myself if I'd just bought a $5000 - $6000 17" PowerBook only to learn 2-3 months later that Apple will change THE ENTIRE guts of their computers to implement the IBM 970 or whatever next-gen processor. This is not "the year of the laptop" in my mind which Apple says it is. This year is "make it or break it" for Apple -- their hardware is not strong enough to go up against PCs. The Mac OS is just about perfection, but the SPEED is incredibly lacking. Companies want speed and so do "most" prosumers/consumers. Oooohhhh love to rant. Hold onto that Dell if it meets the portability/power you can stand for the next few months.

June is one helluva crucial month for Apple's future. I'm scared AND excited at the same time. They could get a major boost ahead of the PC world and be the "raw" speed champ once again.

Maybe you could go ahead with the laptop idea: The Power Macs will get the next-gen processor first -- obvious -- while a few months down the road, the portables will be taken care of.

Currently I've got a FW800 1.25GHz Power Mac that I picked up in mid-Feb. I'm ditching it as soon as I get official word from Apple that they're moving from 32 to 64-bit architecture. I WANT MORE SPEED NOW. When rendering and exporting video, the dual factor just ain't as much as it's sliced/kracked up to be. Too idle.

Think of longevity before anything else. If you need a Mac RIGHT THIS MINUTE, buy a Power Mac even in its current state. 1GHz just doesn't cut it for a $5000+ laptop that's JUST shipping now. Embarrassing speed for something that's basically a desktop replacement. Wait and get a machine that INCLUDES PANTHER or buy an underpowered laptop now and unleash some fury -- cussin' -- when the new architecture is announced a few months down the road. I bought my Power Mac in Feb because I needed a Mac to replace my iBook -- I will not use a PC. Last year or the year before, an Apple laptop would have been a safe choice, but it ISN'T RIGHT NOW because Apple's at a fragile state/crossroads. If they don't make the right decision and move to a next-gen chip -- instead of the current architecture that is YEARS old -- they're going to fail. If they fail to implement the new chips, they'd better slice their prices in half.

Be cool. A tower is still the best choice right now if YOU NNEEEEEDDDD a computer RIIIGGGHHHHTTTT now. :cool:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
TOMAC YOU'RE FREAKIN' ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody please tell me he's full of it?!?! PLEASE!!! You don't say this to someone as they are about to "switch" and hand out close to 10 grand at the same time!!!! Or maybe it's better to say it now before I hand over the money. *sigh*. Did I pick a bad time to switch? and to a LAPTOP at that?! Like I said before...I do CAD, flash, illustrator, photoshop...that kind of thing. I'm using a P4 1.8 right now with 750mb ram and a 64 mb nvidia geforce video card. This seems to be doing just fine handling my work (of course who wouldn't love for everything to be quicker, and to be able to have 10 programs at once open...I'm as power hungry as the next guy). Anyone have any idea how the laptop *should* do comparitively?? I am very interested in the laptop being my one and only machine. Therefore the portablitity is very important as I will be going back and forth to university and home.

The funny thing is I am quite satisfied with the PC and XP right now. (sorry!). I had a moment of weakness about 2 months ago when my computer was acting up...turned out to be a bad usb hub. Now that I'm switching, I think my computer is sucking up because it seems to be running just fine. I haven't had to tinker with it all lately. But I am looking SO forward to a change of scenery, if nothing else. Know what I mean? I know...the grass is always greener on the other side...blah blah blah...but that change of scenery....oohhhhh

·
Premium Member
7,057 Posts
Pamela - No matter when you purchase your computer, something better WILL come out and it will come sooner then you want it to. Such is life. Your P4 will in a few months wane cosiderably compared to the new super duper Water cooled P4 6000 that burns cycles in order to sustain itself and uses others to crash the computer.

I think your PC has heard the bell tolls of its death and like hockey players is working very hard to make sure their contract will be renewed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just wait til June.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The funny thing is I am quite satisfied with the PC and XP right now. (sorry!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You seem to be doing fine.

I personally have been quite edgy about Apple for the past month even with this new computer of mine. I've been through an iBook 500, 800 and now on this Dual 1.25 and while stunned at first, now that I've put it through its paces, it just doesn't do justice to the Power Mac name. I use an Apple and I demand innovation in not just their BEAUTIFUL software, but the hardware that drives it.

Been a Mac user since Sept 2001 -- days before YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED -- and love it. Shelling out $3563 (taxes and all) on a Power Mac and finding out that the "almost" high-end machine performs like this is heart wrenching. This is what I'm feeling RIGHT now, but I just cannot be fake and full of it and say that's it's SUPREMELY, SUPER DOOPER, MIND NUMBINGLY, BLISTERINGLY POWERFUL. Mac user til I die and have switched many to the platform but Apple's got to be at a HUGE transitional stage right now or something's wrong. Why are there still PowerPC 7455 chips in Power Macs? Been 'round far too long. Hello change, I don't seeeeee yooooouuu. Woo.

My "extreme hardcore faith in Apple to the 3rd power" will be restored once I see new chips. MMMmmmmm... IBM 970, 64-bit architecture in a Power Mac beating the CRAP out of PCs in rendering. That'll be the day when I'll know that the price I pay for a Mac is 100% justified for every reason.

That'll be the day when all false sense of security is brushed aside for everyone and fear in the PC world increases. It's time to turn the tables this year Apple. I KNOW you can do it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Pamela,

Maybe this will help ease your wait.
Just cut along the broken lines and place over your present keyboard.

lol...I know, I know, kinda cold.
Not trying to be an ass.
Hopefully this made you laugh

Your PowerBook will arrive soon enough and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomac:
Just wait til June.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The funny thing is I am quite satisfied with the PC and XP right now. (sorry!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My "extreme hardcore faith in Apple to the 3rd power" will be restored once I see new chips. MMMmmmmm... IBM 970, 64-bit architecture in a Power Mac beating the CRAP out of PCs in rendering.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But won't PC's have the same architecture available at that point too? This 64 bit thing isn't just an apple thing right? And I wonder how long it will take (if ever) to get that technology into the laptops? SOOOO many people are going to be SOOOOOO pissed after buying the new dualies and powerbooks if it comes out before the end of the year...lol

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirdeyevision:
Hey Pamela,

Maybe this will help ease your wait.
Just cut along the broken lines and place over your present keyboard.

lol...I know, I know, kinda cold.
Not trying to be an ass.
Hopefully this made you laugh

Your PowerBook will arrive soon enough and I'm sure you'll be pleased.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! You bastard! SALT IN THE WOUND!!

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Tomac, I think that the PPC 970 is a least 6 to 11 months away from desktop and up to a year and a half away from portable use.
While you may need or want a faster mac, many will be satisfied with the current Macs for the time being. The gigabook is pretty darn expensive, quite frankly I would get the 15 inch and save about 1500 or more and just use that for three years.
It will be a couple of years before 64 bit apps are widely used and about 4 or 5 years before they are a standard. Im also not sure if there is any advantage for 32 bit apps at the clock speed. But Im sure if there is a new 2ghz PPC970 out this August then it will be a screamer.
I really doubt there will be any 64 bit portables for a year or more.
It is going to be a hard sell for all the companies to get us to move to 64 bit if all we do is web surfing, music application, and productivity software.
I would think gaming and multimedia will be the big winner in the 64 bit revolution. Video, Gaming and 3d modeling will see some amazing changes in a couple years.
if only we could predict the future accurately.
All we can say for sure is there will be more new stuff coming out every now and then with features you didnt know you couldnt live without.
Mark

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chealion:

I think your PC has heard the bell tolls of its death and like hockey players is working very hard to make sure their contract will be renewed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol...oh so true. good analogy ;) you watching that game right now by any chance?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wouldn't mind seeing TRUE DDR support and further optimizations to the architecture -- faster throughput. I think DDR ram will still be here to stay in the next incarnation. Would be, should be, could be... I don't know what will happen.

PEACE, to whatever happens to the future of this heated thread. I've NEVER bashed/ranted about Apple like this before, but I cannot be a coward. Another kick in the arse may help things get started. Apple wants feedback, they get feedback.

I only hope GOOD things will happen in the name of Apple Computer, Inc.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pamela:

The funny thing is I am quite satisfied with the PC and XP right now. (sorry!). I had a moment of weakness about 2 months ago when my computer was acting up...turned out to be a bad usb hub.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.....I can't print for some reason!?!?? MURPHY'S FREAKIN' LAW! I'M SWITCHING....DO YOU HEAR THAT PC OF MINE...I'M FREAKING SWITCHING. I GAVE YOU ONE TINY BIT OF A COMPLIAMENT AND YOU GO AND FREAK OUT ON ME AGAIN. well SCREW you!

God I'm going to kiss that mac when I get it. And the guy who hands it to me too!

·
Premium Member
7,057 Posts
Pamela, no I'm not watching the game, as for full citizenship. Look at Dr. G, 2000+ posts, no Mac and hes a full citizen. The thing is that the full citizenship USED to occur after 15 posts, was bumbed to 40 posts, and then when ehMax upgraded to the current version of UBB the auto granting of full citizenship broke so ehMax has to do it manually. Just wait and you shall recieve it. Full Citizenship is not that big of a deal unless you agree to take part in the ritual ceremony (Ask macnutt) and well that means I'll have a job to do again... Time to dust off my mop ;)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chealion:
Pamela, no I'm not watching the game, as for full citizenship. Look at Dr. G, 2000+ posts, no Mac and hes a full citizen. The thing is that the full citizenship USED to occur after 15 posts, was bumbed to 40 posts, and then when ehMax upgraded to the current version of UBB the auto granting of full citizenship broke so ehMax has to do it manually. Just wait and you shall recieve it. Full Citizenship is not that big of a deal unless you agree to take part in the ritual ceremony (Ask macnutt) and well that means I'll have a job to do again... Time to dust off my mop ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ouch! sounds painful! umm...well it was nice talking to you guys...uh...i gotta...i gotta go now.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomac:
Pamela = Full Citizen -- Switcher Queen. ???

Been through far too much thus far. Apple should give you a gold anodized PowerBook for your troubles and desparation to get the switch over with.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would love to be the official switcher apple queen. Although I think I'm more of a princess ;) lol
but anyway, TOMAC, you are now my favourite ehmac member! ;) lol. Too bad you don't have any pull at apple
:(

·
Premium Member
7,057 Posts
Pamela - The ritual is not that bad, the doxies may be nice to you, and well the jumper cables prop won't be covered in rust this time... ;)
If any of us had some pull I believe we'd get them to hurry it up. Switcher Queen? Hmmm... now if the next UBB update (when ehMax gets it...) maybe there can be special titles (like Mayor for the day contests where you get to wear the special ehMac toque or something.

·
Registered
260 Posts
http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P605_0_1_0

Click the link -- Apple's most recent SEC Form 10-Q filing, dated February 10, 2003 -- at the site.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Of related interest, from Apple's most recent SEC Form 10-Q filing, dated February 10, 2003: "The Company's ability to produce and market competitive products is also dependent on the ability and desire of IBM and Motorola, the sole suppliers of the PowerPC RISC-based microprocessorfor the Company's Macintosh computers, to provide the Company with a sufficient supply of microprocessors with price/performance features that compare favorably to those supplied to the Company's competitors by Intel Corporation and other developers and producers of microprocessors used by personal computers using the Windows operating systems. Further, despite its efforts to educate the marketplace to the contrary, the Company believes that many of its current and potential customers believe that the relatively slower MHz rating or clock speed of the microprocessors it utilizes in its Macintosh systems compares unfavorably to those utilized by Windows-based systems and translates to slower overall system performance. There have been instances in recent years where the inability of the Company's suppliers to provide advanced PowerPC G4 and G3 microprocessors with higher clock speeds in sufficient quantity has had significant adverse effects on the Company's results of operations. The inability in the future of the Company to obtain microprocessors in sufficient quantities with competitive price/performance features could have an adverse impact on the Company's results of operations and financial condition."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must give some congrats to Apple on sticking up for themselves as they did today.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Apple stands by our claims that our latest Power Mac systems perform equal to or better than competing PC systems," Apple said in a statement given to MacCentral. "The reported tests on Adobe's Web site showing slower performance of After Effects on a Mac than a PC is more an application test than a platform test and is not indicative of all Pro application performance on the Mac."

"Other applications, such as Apple's Final Cut Express, run some of those same tests on a Mac faster than the results for After Effects on either a Mac or a PC," Apple's statement reads. "Apple and Adobe remain extremely close partners and have been working together to improve the performance of After Effects on the Mac."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't mind MORE PROOF instead of JUST CLAIMS though.

Oh and in response to this,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> if we see a 64 bit processor in a Mac.. I think Apple will be kicking a lot of big companies in the pants.. Intel says no to consumer market64 bit machines, AMD can hardly pump out a chip that's worth my typing about it.. and well..Motorola.. rest in peace..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SPOT ON! (THUMBS UP!!!!) :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was in, and am starting to get inot the same problem. Do I buy a Mac now or not?

I was already to get a Dual 867 in January and then the new Power Macs came out and I was glad that I waited a bit. So I had my heart set on a DP 1.25 with Superdrive since I love digital video and would like to get into DVD authoring. Well, I was already to order when I got distracted by life and put the Mac on hold. I also started second guessing putting myself into $5000 debt for a PC. Now I've landed a good job as a grpahic designer for the CIBC and will be coming earning some good cash. So my dreams of owning a Mac are starting up again. I'm only on contract until the end of July, but if they keep me longer I was planning on getting a DP in August, or a DP 1.4 if the price drops. I don't mind waiting until August becasue for now I'm doing all my work, well at work but, plus by August I will have saved enough money to pay back my OSAP.

Any way, now I'm hearing things about 640bit cpu's and new mobos and all this stuff. So do I wait past August? I don't want to get a machine in the fall that will be really outdated by the spring. I know that I still have a while to go until August but I just can't stand the game Apple plays. Atleast with a Intel machine you know for a fact in six months a certain type of speed increase will occur and it won't be a shock.

Maybe I should just get a Dell :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm sure everyone here has seen Adobe's site stating PCs are better for video post work. That got me second guessing Apple.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.