Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
I went through a lot hasle and hoops and misadventurtes to get my new machine, it took about 4 months all told, but I am now happy.
You should get your new book in about a week to three weeks, if you cant wait that long, you could cancel and buy a gig iMac and use it for a year, sell it for a good portion of the cost of next january's Powerbook upgrade. which will be cheaper and better.
We all have been through this with Apple, now if you can struggle through the next couple of weeks, then wait if you really cant then dont.
Frankly if you already have a PC in your home, I would wait and use the PC for the time being.
Just a ramble

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
macdoc, I was just going to suggest that.
Using the powerbook in extended desktop mode you could hook up a second 17 inch LCD and have more combined space than the 17 inch alone, and you could use the 15 incher as a more portable laptop.
A freind of mine uses photoshop on two monitors one larger and one small 14 inch for pallettes and extras.
The combined cost would still be cheaper and more versatile and frankly just better all around

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Tomac, I think that the PPC 970 is a least 6 to 11 months away from desktop and up to a year and a half away from portable use.
While you may need or want a faster mac, many will be satisfied with the current Macs for the time being. The gigabook is pretty darn expensive, quite frankly I would get the 15 inch and save about 1500 or more and just use that for three years.
It will be a couple of years before 64 bit apps are widely used and about 4 or 5 years before they are a standard. Im also not sure if there is any advantage for 32 bit apps at the clock speed. But Im sure if there is a new 2ghz PPC970 out this August then it will be a screamer.
I really doubt there will be any 64 bit portables for a year or more.
It is going to be a hard sell for all the companies to get us to move to 64 bit if all we do is web surfing, music application, and productivity software.
I would think gaming and multimedia will be the big winner in the 64 bit revolution. Video, Gaming and 3d modeling will see some amazing changes in a couple years.
if only we could predict the future accurately.
All we can say for sure is there will be more new stuff coming out every now and then with features you didnt know you couldnt live without.
Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.