Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

my predicament....not really a rant

6K views 70 replies 16 participants last post by  MacDoxie 
#1 ·
I swear to god...I am THIS CLOSE (think a millionth of an inch) to buying myself a desktop mac. I CAN NOT STAND WAITING for my 17" ANYMORE. Not only that, but the fact that the distributor has NO idea, and I can't check the "status" of my order anywhere, is driving me crazy!??! I really don't know what to do. Maybe I cancel and get an imac and re-save up for a powerbook in time for when school starts in september. Maybe they'll be rev b's by then (not like it sounds like there's any problems with the rev.a's so far). I just have no idea how close or far I am from getting it. I'm so close to running out of patience. Three weeks left of school. Maybe I should just stick to the PC still September. I would just be so dissappointed. I've been looking forward to this for so long now. :(

Is anyone else in this predicament? Or can anyone else give me some advice?

Probably not. This is something I'll just have to figure out.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Macfriend:
Pam,

I just can't help when I think about your predicament I remember when, younger, I would die for a glance of my secret sweethart... and she couldn't care less.

A powerbook, an erotic object?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure seems that way doesn't it. I take it apple is the "secret sweetheart" here....sure seems like they couldn't care less :(

Discussion starter · #9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chealion:
Pamela - The ritual is not that bad, the doxies may be nice to you, and well the jumper cables prop won't be covered in rust this time... ;)
If any of us had some pull I believe we'd get them to hurry it up. Switcher Queen? Hmmm... now if the next UBB update (when ehMax gets it...) maybe there can be special titles (like Mayor for the day contests where you get to wear the special ehMac toque or something.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds like a very civil community if you ask me ;) Maybe we should consider sending some suggestions to help them out south of the border ;) lol

Discussion starter · #11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:
Pamela it's not called "bleeding edge" for nothing

Staying on the front edge of Macs is not for the weak of heart or pocketbook.
Even the head of the 100 year old company that does all the packaging for MacD's in Canada and Russia is hemming and hawwing about my getting him a 17".
Stevie knows his victims - buy the top of the line = pay through the nose then watch it get cut in two in value in 6 months. Been that way since Day One.

On the other hand you could have had a perfectly functional 1 gHz 15" that is NOT a "luggable desktop" for less money and have been enjoying a proven product that will run Quark in OS9!!
Or even a "cute as a button "12" Silver Bullet by now. Nice box - we just sold 2.

But then what do I know....... ;)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I know...I could have gone for a lot of other computers. But this 17" is just what I need screen wise. The 15's are just too small for me to do any serious CAD work. I would have just kept the dell I had if I wanted to do that. Plus I've always been the one at the front with all the new gadgets. Anything to take the heat off of me and make my job "easier" (if nothing else, than prettier...lol)

Discussion starter · #12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:
On the other hand you could have had a perfectly functional 1 gHz 15" that is NOT a "luggable desktop" for less money and have been enjoying a proven product that will run Quark in OS9!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I mentioned the deal I was getting through ADC to a collegue. He ordered a 15" Friday and picked it up yesterday. I could have wrung his neck. I'm surprised he didn't want the 17...to each his own I guess.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
IMHO I think a 17" is overkill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me it really isn't. I spend 10-12 hours a day on a computer...only about half of which I could hook up to a bigger external monitor. I work on tiny little details and the programs I use have a ton of open toolboxs. If I were just using word and internet, yeah, of course it would be overkill.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
I went through a lot hasle and hoops and misadventurtes to get my new machine, it took about 4 months all told, but I am now happy.
You should get your new book in about a week to three weeks, if you cant wait that long, you could cancel and buy a gig iMac and use it for a year, sell it for a good portion of the cost of next january's Powerbook upgrade. which will be cheaper and better.
We all have been through this with Apple, now if you can struggle through the next couple of weeks, then wait if you really cant then dont.
Frankly if you already have a PC in your home, I would wait and use the PC for the time being.
Just a ramble
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's actually a good suggestion. Buying the imac and selling it when the next powerbook upgrade comes around. But isn't that the computing world...always waiting for the next upgrade...lol. If we kept waiting, none of us would have a computer. I think I will take your suggestion though. I'll keep biting my lip, and keep using the PC. What a shame that school will be over by the time I get the powerbook though. I was really hoping to be able to use it. Oh well, it'll just make me want to work on my business stuff that I've had to put off cuz of school being too crazy

Discussion starter · #22 ·
TOMAC YOU'RE FREAKIN' ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody please tell me he's full of it?!?! PLEASE!!! You don't say this to someone as they are about to "switch" and hand out close to 10 grand at the same time!!!! Or maybe it's better to say it now before I hand over the money. *sigh*. Did I pick a bad time to switch? and to a LAPTOP at that?! Like I said before...I do CAD, flash, illustrator, photoshop...that kind of thing. I'm using a P4 1.8 right now with 750mb ram and a 64 mb nvidia geforce video card. This seems to be doing just fine handling my work (of course who wouldn't love for everything to be quicker, and to be able to have 10 programs at once open...I'm as power hungry as the next guy). Anyone have any idea how the laptop *should* do comparitively?? I am very interested in the laptop being my one and only machine. Therefore the portablitity is very important as I will be going back and forth to university and home.

The funny thing is I am quite satisfied with the PC and XP right now. (sorry!). I had a moment of weakness about 2 months ago when my computer was acting up...turned out to be a bad usb hub. Now that I'm switching, I think my computer is sucking up because it seems to be running just fine. I haven't had to tinker with it all lately. But I am looking SO forward to a change of scenery, if nothing else. Know what I mean? I know...the grass is always greener on the other side...blah blah blah...but that change of scenery....oohhhhh

Discussion starter · #26 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomac:
Just wait til June.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The funny thing is I am quite satisfied with the PC and XP right now. (sorry!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My "extreme hardcore faith in Apple to the 3rd power" will be restored once I see new chips. MMMmmmmm... IBM 970, 64-bit architecture in a Power Mac beating the CRAP out of PCs in rendering.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But won't PC's have the same architecture available at that point too? This 64 bit thing isn't just an apple thing right? And I wonder how long it will take (if ever) to get that technology into the laptops? SOOOO many people are going to be SOOOOOO pissed after buying the new dualies and powerbooks if it comes out before the end of the year...lol

Discussion starter · #27 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirdeyevision:
Hey Pamela,

Maybe this will help ease your wait.
Just cut along the broken lines and place over your present keyboard.

lol...I know, I know, kinda cold.
Not trying to be an ass.
Hopefully this made you laugh

Your PowerBook will arrive soon enough and I'm sure you'll be pleased.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! You bastard! SALT IN THE WOUND!!

Discussion starter · #30 ·

I think your PC has heard the bell tolls of its death and like hockey players is working very hard to make sure their contract will be renewed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol...oh so true. good analogy ;) you watching that game right now by any chance?

Discussion starter · #33 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pamela:

The funny thing is I am quite satisfied with the PC and XP right now. (sorry!). I had a moment of weakness about 2 months ago when my computer was acting up...turned out to be a bad usb hub.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.....I can't print for some reason!?!?? MURPHY'S FREAKIN' LAW! I'M SWITCHING....DO YOU HEAR THAT PC OF MINE...I'M FREAKING SWITCHING. I GAVE YOU ONE TINY BIT OF A COMPLIAMENT AND YOU GO AND FREAK OUT ON ME AGAIN. well SCREW you!

God I'm going to kiss that mac when I get it. And the guy who hands it to me too!

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Pamela, no I'm not watching the game, as for full citizenship. Look at Dr. G, 2000+ posts, no Mac and hes a full citizen. The thing is that the full citizenship USED to occur after 15 posts, was bumbed to 40 posts, and then when ehMax upgraded to the current version of UBB the auto granting of full citizenship broke so ehMax has to do it manually. Just wait and you shall recieve it. Full Citizenship is not that big of a deal unless you agree to take part in the ritual ceremony (Ask macnutt) and well that means I'll have a job to do again... Time to dust off my mop ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ouch! sounds painful! umm...well it was nice talking to you guys...uh...i gotta...i gotta go now.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomac:
Pamela = Full Citizen -- Switcher Queen. ???

Been through far too much thus far. Apple should give you a gold anodized PowerBook for your troubles and desparation to get the switch over with.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would love to be the official switcher apple queen. Although I think I'm more of a princess ;) lol
but anyway, TOMAC, you are now my favourite ehmac member! ;) lol. Too bad you don't have any pull at apple
:(

Discussion starter · #46 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macspectrum:
pamela typed:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> hhhmmm...jb22 has a point. Should I just be keeping my PC? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After all that kvetching about not getting your Mac and then trying to get a used, but latest model, 1GHz 17" iMac and now you want to keep your PC?

Oye !!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See what happens when Apple gives me 2 months to think about my purchase? Thank for proving mine and robthegob's point.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
Pamela, do as I do and call it "meditation, reflection and contemplation", so that you won't be accused of procrastination. Look at me, I was intending to get the original iBook, which is why I joined this discussion forum of Canadian Mac users. Even though I have not yet purchased the "Mac of my dreams", I have not jumped back to the "dark side". Keep the faith and be patient.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

okey dokey...that's what I'll call it then. But I think apple is the one that's really procrastinating here...I'm ready to BUY! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.