Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been here in a while, but just felt like relating:

Just as I began to contemplate selling my 12" PowerBook (to replace with a MacBook), an unwelcome bump led to an unwelcome dent in the bottom case.

For most cases I would have shrugged it off - it still runs just fine - except that this happens to be in the corner where the power adapter connector is. Attaching the power adapter is now a significant headache.

Local dealer wants $450 for the bottom case and repairs. :(

Remind me not to be such a klutz with the MacBook...

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
Well, Grunt, you can be a little bit of a klutz with your new MacBook when it comes... the 12" Powerbook (a size and feature set that I still can't understand Apple not continuing) was a nice unit, but ridiculously fragile. My pal had one less than a month before a few unfortunate bumps left dings and - worst of all - bent the case where the CD slot is. He hasn't been able to use CDs / DVDs in the thing since (and a case repair? sheesh! Expensive!). The MacBook, made of good old plastic, will be a bit more forgiving.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Mine is 2 years old and not a scratch or dent, but that's simply because I have treated it with lots of TLC. I agree with CubaMark: the MB plastic feels a lot tougher. My kid has a 12" iBook (the last model) and it is brutally robust.

Perhaps try eBay for a replacement part?

·
Registered
781 Posts
You could always try pulling the case off and simply hammering the dent out... or, pull all the bits and pieces out and sell it for parts.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To fix or not to fix

Should I even bother getting the dent repaired? My concern is that I won't be able to get rid of it with it there, and I may want to continue to use it until I get its replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts