Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed the battery test procedure on Apple's support page and got...

8 hours and 22 minutes!! Wow

For those who are saying, what is the point of this thread
I'll let you know.

1. Playing one large aac file does use more battery. However I don't understand why this would be the case. The HD should spin up and fill its cache then shut off. I don't see the dif. when filling the cache with other songs or more of the same song.

2. Backlighting uses more battery. Makes sense. But oh that backlighting looks sooo good I'm still going to use it.

Umm that's all I can think of ;)

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I assume that when playing one long file your ipod cannot dump it from the cache until it is finished playing, so it must therefor read directly from the HD. This would explain why you are more likely to experience skipping with large files.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, since the on-board cache is 32MB (which is about a 30-minute song at 128kbit/sec), under ideal conditions, then a long techno remix for example would have to be cached several times. Also, I suspect that AAC-encoded tracks may require 'more processing overhead' to decode on a 3rd-Gen iPod, hence the extra consumption. I used to have my backlighting at 20 secs with the touch of any key, but have now set it to 5-secs, which I find - with the 2.1 firmware update, has considerably extended battery duration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts