Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all...

Here is my first test track made with garageband.

It took about an hour to put together.

Inebrium

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
B.

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
It would be a really useful idea if you posted the details of your equipment. ie Processor speed etc so people can get a feel for performance. Also any comments on where you ran into bottlenecks if any.

:cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For MacDoc... :D

TiBook G4/400 512MB 30gig
M-Audio Oxygen8 Controler

No snags yet. The funky display window that follows your tracks does slow down when there are more than 4 tracks playing at the same time. But that does not affect playback at all.

I find GarageBand a little clunky to use. But you get used to it very quick. I have used Acid Pro on the PC for 2 years, so that's why I find it clunky. Not a bad thing, just a little learning curve.

This is just my first test song. I plan on expanding this track and I'll post it once I have finished it.

Cheers,
B.

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
Thanks we are doing our testing as well but of course we have a limited number of machines so we are looking for performance evaluations on various models and whre the bottlenecks are.
IE would more RAM benefit or a faster drive or????

This is a hot ticket for Apple and the Mac community. We appreciate input and insight. :cool:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just got GB yesterday and on my stock 15" Powerbook (4200rpm, 512mb ram) have run into no snags so far performance has been great. I've only been recording usually 8-10 tracks of guitar with some drum loops using the line-out of my amp through a 1/4-1/8" adapter to the line-in of the Powerbook. At first there was lots of noise and feedback but once I turned the volume way down the signal was much better than I expected and was able to produce some great tones with the built-in effects and amps.

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
Which Powerbook?/Speed and cache size appreciated.

Interesting that so many are on portables for this. My one client went that way for he and his son - I hope it works out. :cool:

More please

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's the new 1.25ghz with 512k L2 cache. The songs are usually 2-3 minutes with no software instruments and 1-2 effects on each guitar track (2-3 rhythm, 1 lead, and a couple that are just fills that come in after the verses, chorus, and bridge).

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Here's a little sketch I recorded using GarageBand on my 12" PowerBook 867 MHz, 640 MB, using the built-in harddrive. Connected is an Edirol UM-1SX to a Yamaha YPP-55 keyboard. The only "performance issue" I can see is the scrolling becomes a little choppy sometimes.
It's great how multi-threaded it is. It can be playing tracks you've already laid down, and meanwhile you browse through the software instrument list, playing each one along with the loops to try it out.
You can make your own loops within the song using MIDI. Just record a few bars, hover mouse over lower right edge till it shows a 'refresh' icon and then drag the edge to the right - it repeats.
Anyway, here's what was left after I fooled around for a while.
Epilogue 1
If you get an error clicking on the link, put your mouse in the address bar and hit enter, it should show up then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts