Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The G4 came yesterday. I picked up a bunch of software today.
I've been using OS X 10.3 for more than 3 hours now and I LOVE IT!
Its amazing. I'm in love. With an operating system. How pathetic is that! ;)

So far, everything has been good. Except MSN Messenger crashed saving a conversation that I really needed. And up until 30 seconds ago, I couldn't print to a windows networked printer properly. Even though both printers claim Mac OS compatability, doing that through a Windows network is proving to be challenging. Using the LaserJet 4 driver I was finally able to make the Brother HL-1440 print, although for some reason it doesn't have borders or page headers/footers. Mind you, maybe thats how its supposed to print?
The Deskjet 882C won't print properly, but I've only tried 2 HP drivers, one higher and one lower model.
I'm very excited.
Does anyoen know why GarageBand didn't install when I installed iLife? Is it because I don't meet the system requirements?

OH! Other question - i bought 256 mb of Ram for $40 thinking that this only came with 128. It actually came with 256, so should i still use the extra 256 and double the memory? Or return it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is my next problem - in "Network", I see all the computer on the Windows network. I can connect to them all, (1 Win 98 and 3 XP), but there are only select folders showing up from the XP machines. There doesn't seem to be a pattern. The folders that do appear, I can open files and everything. (I'm streaming music off one right now.)
How do I see all the shared folders?!

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
We need to know your system configuration for the iLife question. Also, Is it iLife 04.
Memory? Always get as much memory stuffed into your machine as you can afford.

·
Registered
454 Posts
First of all to install Garageband you need to manually select it when installing, as it doesnt automatically install it!

The more ram the better, 512 is the minimum.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Absolutely...we need to know your sytem...everyone here will probably say the more ram the better...i bought an new older g4 imac 700...it only had 128 ram...garageband needs 256 ram according to apple...of course more is best...

Did you install the DVD with Garageband or the Cd which comes with no Garageband??? I had to go to my video club that I joined to borrow a dvd and install gb! It's fun...you came at a great time if you love music!!

I'm new at this game...you'll learn that mac's aren't perfect but, they are neat! My computer wasn't quite new so I won't complain with glitches I had....Hope you continue to enjoy!

All the best! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
G4 466
256 MB SDRAM
30 GB HD
8x4x32 CDRW
16 mb ATI Rage 128 Pro.
I guess I'll have to try the manual install for Garage Band, I assumed that it would just install.
OS X has crashed twice in my first 3 hours with it though, I thought that wasn't supposed to happen on a Mac!!! :confused:
I think I'll keep the extra RAM and throw it in, more is always best.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I think you need a DVD drive to install GarageBand,
You only seem to have a CDRW listed in your spec's.

Dave :cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Yep - need a DVD-ROM drive to install GarageBand.

·
Registered
454 Posts
OS X crashing twice in three hours????

Impossible, something is definetly wrong, one of my Macs has been on 24/7 since last May, used everyday for Photoshop/Illustrator and has never crashed.

Actually I have never had OS X crash on me, on any machine ranging from a iMac DV G3 400 to a Dual 1.8 G5.

·
peek-a-boo
16,708 Posts
Congrats on your mac! OS X is awesome, it's the thing that made me switch for sure.

When I first got my G4, OS X did crash a number of times. Or rather I had a few app crashes. One of the things you might consider doing is repairing permissions after you install stuff. It's also a good idea to do it regularly.(I do it weekly) It's similar to how windows users would run scan disk and defrag, not the same thing but that's what we do. You can run it from disk utility in your utility folder in Applications. I run Jag so if it's different in Panther maybe someone camn correct me.

I use Oynx, a neat app I got from versiontracker.com that automates some housecleaning duties as well as repairing permissions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, all.
I guess I should have specified, it was applications crashing, the operating system kept running fine. (Much like windows XP)
Once was when i closed a msn messenger window and it went to save the conversation, it crashed halfway through and shut down messenger.
The second time was when I was playing around with the Printer control panel.

Here is a question - how come when I click to go to my e-mail inbox in MSN Messenger, it opens up InDesign CS and tries to open the html file there!?

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
msn messenger is by most accounts a poorly written piece of software, at least on the version ported to the mac.

do you have indesign set as the default application to open HTML files?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts