Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was arguing with someone
that my doom virus does not work on a mac..am I right?

does anybody know?

please let me know

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
You are correct, sir.

And don't believe them when they say that:

a) macs are for newbies

b) macs are only good for video

c) there's no software for Macs

d) "they only have a one-button mouse!"

e) you cannot upgrade Macs

f) macs are toys (or for girls only)

g) "Didn't Microsoft buy Apple years ago?"

h) Apple is going out of business

i) ALL OF THE ABOVE

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
g) "Didn't Microsoft buy Apple years ago?"

I heard that one years back. Did they buy any of the shares?

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Yes, they bought $150,000,000 in NON-VOTING shares. M$ also settled out-of-court with Apple the whole ripping-off-Mac-OS lawsuit thingy, once and for all, with an undisclosed $UM of dough. As part of the deal, M$ was obligated to keep the stocks for five years (which ended in May of 2002, I believe).

As part of the deal, IE/Mac was blessed as the default browser in Mac OS installs, some technology sharing was pledged between Apple and MS, and MS promised five more years of Office/Mac. Now, you should know that -- according to Microsoft's own figures -- MS makes about $300,000,000 A YEAR off of Office/Mac sales. So, that can't be bad in their books.

Although $150,000,000 sounds like a lot, keep in mind that, at that time (before Jobs took over as interim CEO), Apple was losing anYwhere between THIRTY AND SIXTY MILLION DOLLARS A QUARTER!!! the way things were, Apple would have bled that dough out of their books inside of a year. So really, that stock purchase was nothing in context to the overall financial shape of Apple. What saved Apple was Steve jobs coming in there, trimming and refocusing the product line, killing the clone agreements (and the Newton :mad: ) and getting that little saviour the iMac out to market. the rest, as they say, is history.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts