Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading about the Campus tour this AM from CubaM, decided to hit it up and see what would be on display. G5 w/o a doubt.

Found out that the plastic shield that you see on the ones displayed IS an actual part of the unit. wow... Thought that it was there for disp purposes. Also found out that the shield is there to force some air thru, and the heat sinks are oversized so that the fans can run as slowly as possible - as such making the units still hella quiet.

Anyhowm here we go:

asked him about the new PBs, he said:

"look for a revision of all 3 PBs. the 15" rev is long overdue." whoa. I heard that they might do up the 12", but the 17" as well?? He said there will not be a G5 PB announced. That's for sure. The chip and sink are just too big right now to be placed i n

Asked about heat dissipation on 12"

"that wil be dealt with. As well, the warping will also be corrected." Hope so. Like I mentioned, that 12" was appealing until I heard everyone burning mad about this heat issue.

what about the OS:

"the news ones, unless otherwise announced in Paris, will still ship with Jag. Panther is late stages of beta."

Also mentioned that there were some openings - even said several @ Apple Canada. Went to take a look, and noticed nothing more than 3 (Greater GTA). Unless the site will be updated.

Adobe:

Talked briefly about the Mac less video suites. Just very light convo there, but the rep mentioned that there would be a colossal annoucement made by Adobe in the new few weeks. Biggest in 15 yrs, and this would be the the biggest enchilada ever: Big Bang 3 type news. Anyone with insight there?? Sauga?? You do layout, no??

H!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It is probably just Adobe's new Graphic Suite...

Indesign3, Photoshop8, Illustrator11, etc...

Not the best kept secret... I could be wrong...

People on Adobes forums either love or hate ID2 and Illy10... Most love PS7 though many didn't see enough to justify the upgrade...

Adobe is upgrading quicker these days to strengthen their position with the OS X crowd... though from my personal perspective the vast majority of graphics companies are holding onto OS9 and PS6 and Quark 4.1.1

Panther should shake that tree a little, will for me, but the next year or so should be interesting...

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Don't mince words, Macdoc... How do you really feel? ;)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Oheneri

As a former Apple Rep, I can tell you with out a doubt, your leg was being pulled.

I had to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement and theorizing about "soon to be released" is a big big big no no.

A buddy of mine is an Apple software engineer down in California. When I ask him what he is working on, his only comment is "part of the OS". He does not say what part, which version, what build. When I asked him about when he thought Panther was going to ship, he said "Don't know. But I will send you a copy for half price when it does"

Unless it is coming from a very senior Apple Executive, what you hear is just so much rumour and crapola.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:rolleyes:

Awww.. Brit. You just popped my bubble! :(

Oh well, he sounded sincere enough, although he did not sit there and enumerate the new upgrades. More like a very light summary, though he did lead me down a few roads - much less than the Adobe guy. But he kept telling me to hold on and watch out for the site update. I know about disclosure agreements... I didn't have teh Apple rep under a bright light, sitting in a chair in a Microsoft rebel camp prison though. ;)

H!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts