ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was given a My Book World Edition II, 2TB- 1to1 mirrored one for Christmas. I wanted an external HD for back up of our computer. Computer is a iMac 2.66GHz, Intel Core2Duo, 4GB, 1067MHz, DDR3, using OS X 10.6.5, 2.92GB free memory, and 5.88GB free space on Disc. We have an Airport Extreme and a Magic mouse. Will this work with Time Machine, and auto backup things? I am assuming I have to use the installation CD that comes with unit to get full function, is that correct? I am not really computer savvy, and any and all help would be greatly appreciated. HAPPY NEW YEAR, to all.

·
Registered
343 Posts
First question is will you be using the World Edition on just Macs or do you need it to be accessed by PCs?
I believe the My Book comes from the factory formatted as FAT 32.

If only Macs will be accessing this drive then I would recommend you "reformat" your new drive to Mac OS Extended Journal.
If both types of computers will be accessing then you will have to leave it as is.

I believe you must have the drive formatted to Mac OS Extended Journal to use Time Machine
Here is a link to some Basics for Time Machine - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427
After the initial backup Time Machine will continue to backup any changes hourly.

Time Machine is installed and fully functional right from the factory, you do not need to do anything to get it working.

I hope I have helped with some of your questions.

DavidH

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
You will have to go applications/utilities/disk_utility and format as "mac os extended (journaled)" as this will make any HD mac compatible!

I would also get your main HD cleaned up as only 5 G available is a real bottleneck to performance on your mac!

John

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like this is beyond my ability. Will have to wait for one of our more tech savvy children stop by. I have no idea how to "clean" up our Mac. We only have the one Mac, and an iPad. Only wanted something to store pictures, and videos of the grandkids on. And back up the computer itself, in case something went wrong. Maybe it is too much of a back up for our needs. I don't think I want to start this process, and have something go wrong. Tried this once before with an external HD, and it was not backing anything up. Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts