Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was just going along for so long and doing exactly what I needed it to do that there wasn't really any reason to replace it. But I'm really tired of the recurring 'this unit may be overheating' error message (yes, I've done run through the tips and the options never seem to stick for too long).

I live in Vancouver. In an apartment. Alone. And I'm never ever going to afford anything bigger so 'range' isn't really a problem (and I have a little Netgear wifi extender that works fine to get the signal in my windowless storage room/work from home office). I don't do gaming.

My current modem from my ISP is from 2012 {Hitron CGN) so, you know, it's not like I need the BIGGEST BESTEST FASTEST FLASHIEST stuff.

I'm just looking for something that plays nice with Apple products, is dependable and is easy to set up.

But I'm looking at the types of routers out there now and it's just a wall of specs and a wide range of costs. It's been so long since I've had to do this that I'm not even sure what a decent router starting cost would be.

Any suggestions for my situation and set-up?

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
t was just going along for so long and doing exactly what I needed it to do that there wasn't really any reason to replace it. But I'm really tired of the recurring 'this unit may be overheating' error message (yes,
I have never really ever come across or heard about a modem /router or access point overheating and I'm really surprised you get any such warning, and even wondering how it manages to tell you that it is overheating.

Anyway I would contact your ISP and ask them to please replace it with a unit that won't give you that problem that works as well if not better.

Are you getting the speed you pay for when you do a speed test???

Is it possible you do gaming and over stress the device???

We have the shaw Hitron-coda-4582 and it works very well for are use, but we don't do games or any high performance stuff.

The Hitron router access point devices have a very good reputation for reliability and speed so I am rather surprised with your problem. But I would suspect a replacement unit would fix it.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never really ever come across or heard about a modem /router or access point overheating and I'm really surprised you get any such warning, and even wondering how it manages to tell you that it is overheating.

Anyway I would contact your ISP and ask them to please replace it with a unit that won't give you that problem that works as well if not better.

Are you getting the speed you pay for when you do a speed test???

Is it possible you do gaming and over stress the device???

We have the shaw Hitron-coda-4582 and it works very well for are use, but we don't do games or any high performance stuff.

The Hitron router access point devices have a very good reputation for reliability and speed so I am rather surprised with your problem. But I would suspect a replacement unit would fix it.

- Patrick
=======
I'm looking for a new router. My current (Apple) one has the well-known error message via the blinking amber light about potentially overheating (when it's really, really not). Tried some tips, nothing works. It's getting really old. So I'm looking for a replacement.

I only mentioned my modem to indicate that I don't need the most advanced equipment - heck, my current MBA is 5 years old this year and that's the 'newest' Apple product I currently have out of 2 iPads, my 2011 27" iMac and my iPhone 7 Plus. :)

·
Administrator
159 Posts
It was just going along for so long and doing exactly what I needed it to do that there wasn't really any reason to replace it. But I'm really tired of the recurring 'this unit may be overheating' error message (yes, I've done run through the tips and the options never seem to stick for too long).

I live in Vancouver. In an apartment. Alone. And I'm never ever going to afford anything bigger so 'range' isn't really a problem (and I have a little Netgear wifi extender that works fine to get the signal in my windowless storage room/work from home office). I don't do gaming.

My current modem from my ISP is from 2012 {Hitron CGN) so, you know, it's not like I need the BIGGEST BESTEST FASTEST FLASHIEST stuff.

I'm just looking for something that plays nice with Apple products, is dependable and is easy to set up.

But I'm looking at the types of routers out there now and it's just a wall of specs and a wide range of costs. It's been so long since I've had to do this that I'm not even sure what a decent router starting cost would be.

Any suggestions for my situation and set-up?
Since you said you don’t do gaming. Maybe you could check with your ISP for a new modem. I use Shaw for my ISP, and the modem they provide me is also a router. I personally don’t use the wifi on it, but maybe that would work for you. Should be good for the range you need.

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
I only mentioned my modem to indicate that I don't need the most advanced equipment
Depending on your model, it may already have provision to add a USB drive you could use for backup, But you may need to use something other that Time Machine, maybe Carbon Copy Cloner.

As a Google search shows:
How do I use USB storage on my hitron router?
Just follow the steps:
insert your USB flash drive into a USB port on the router.
login the router (192.168.0.1) from your computer by username: cusadmin and your password.
click "Admin" then "USB Storage"
If the USB flash drive is not there, click "Refresh".

You may have almost everything you need already. 😇

- Patrick
=======

·
Super Moderator
134 Posts
I'm looking for a new router. My current (Apple) one has the well-known error message via the blinking amber light about potentially overheating (when it's really, really not). Tried some tips, nothing works. It's getting really old. So I'm looking for a replacement.

I only mentioned my modem to indicate that I don't need the most advanced equipment - heck, my current MBA is 5 years old this year and that's the 'newest' Apple product I currently have out of 2 iPads, my 2011 27" iMac and my iPhone 7 Plus. :)
Have you tried getting a can of compressed air and blowing it through all ventilation holes in the modem. It may just have an accumulation of dust that is affecting the cooling of the device.

·
Registered
741 Posts
So my suggestions,

Plan A - Working with the assumption that you are renting a modem/provided one by your ISP. Request a new modem/router. Some ISPs will mail you one. Others need a service call. You have to insist on one, even if they say if they find no problem they will charge you. As soon as a tech arrives and sees you archaic devices they will replace it. A new router from your ISP should cover your area well with the updated features/signal strength.

Plan B - Leave the modem in place. Get an access point. Ubiquiti is my preference, but to each their own. I know a Ubiquiti (Model UAP-AC-LR) will blast through your place and will allow you to dump that booster. Booster are no bueno. You will find them on the shelves of every Value Village for a reason. In addition to the speed and signal strength an access point can be moved to any other modem, so if you decide to change ISPs then you can just connect it and go. No new wifi names or passwords. Access points can also Mesh so if you do ever get a bigger place you can add another and keep the same wifi settings easy peezy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just yesterday, I had a service call as our Internet was momentarily dropping out & speeds were the pits. They replaced the ISP's modem which they had replaced 18 montha ago. All fine now.

An interesting fact they pointed out was LAN/Ethernet provided full speed but using Wifi (when did one see the last wired setup?!?) dropped that by half.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts