Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
File a small claims suit for the replacement cost. It will cost you $50 to file and $100 if it goes to court. The claim you want to make needs to be that the delivery of goods or services that aren't up to the standard or quality agreed on by the seller and the buyer.

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/scc/sccbook.asp

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/scc/sccforms.asp

A representative of Apple HAS to show up or the case will most likely go against them.

Apple may likely want to settle before it goes to trial... hold out for a new Powerbook or a BIG rebate off of a new one.

Also look into the Business Practices act... people are often unaware of the teeth in that legislation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"January 3004: The screen finally dies. My reseller wants 1900$ for a new screen... I called Apple and they say "sorry, you are out of warranty"

Wow.. you waited 1000 years to call them? Anyone could have told you it was out of warranty.

Sorry about your troubles - but this is why you should buy an upgraded warranty from Apple the second you buy a machine. Save a lot of headaches.

Computer owning, however, is a two-way street. What kind of environment was the machine in to lose it's paint so quickly?

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's funny. Some guys have all the luck. I have 3 macs, one of them a portable and have not experienced a fraction of what you report. I can however provide a similar tale about a sony portable I had before switching to mac.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Buddy, i feel you pain. I do think you let Apple get away with too much while you were under warranty though. Sometimes you just have to make more noise until someone listens. "Dark spots on your screen are cosmetic?" If someone tried to pass that crap on me, I would politely ask to speak with thier manager, and so on, until I either had the problem solved or I had Steve Jobs on the line.

Unfortunately, you let it slide too long, and now that your warranty has expired you are SOL. Sorry!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
That was painful to read, I'm sure the experience was much worse :(

Too bad about all those "cosmetic" issues, but image is a big part of Apple computers, we want some form of wrinkle fighting cream!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
" I am now asking for a full refund."

Good luck. Why didn't you argue with Apple? I think it's a liitle late to get tough.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Sounds like a wise idea, demanding a refund.

In the interim, have you tried connecting the laptop to a monitor to restore some functionality? It should be possible to do so.

:cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh boy, can I relate. I went through a fairly similar litany of hassles during the first two months I owned my TiPB. I paid close to $6000 when it was all said and done, sold it to a friend two months later after a full epic for $4500 and considerd it a good "escape." Bought a Toshiba for $3000 that kicked ass on the TiPB, sold it when I wanted a DVD burner notebook for a Dell 600M, both had no hardware issues and were good machines. This was my first attempt to switch back to Apple computers (used to work with them, went PC, decided to go back). On my TiPB the CD drive (note combo) ate disks, it crashed if you picked it up by the corners, and the OS was really unstable plus the screen had issues. I had Applecare, my friend has since had the screen done twice, his upgraded combo drive twice, some sort of motherboard issue requiring fresh silicon, etc. etc., but all covered by Applecare. Sounds like you were not getting even "normal" apple service, bummer.

I just bought an ALPB and have had zero hardware problems in the last two weeks, overall very happy with it. OSX has not been incredibly stable (certainly worse than XP), but overall I like working in it, it feels good. I don't like the form factor of the Al as much as the TI (ports on the side, screen won't lie flat enough to use in a vertical notebook holder or when working standing up) but the speakers are much better, and overall I enjoy working on the machine. It is definitely slower and heavier than my Dell 600M (1.6 Pentium M), even with a gig of ram vs 512 on the Dell. However, I can run Final Cut, which was the whole idea, and I am very happy with it, FCP is stacks better than Premier Pro I think. I've installed the new IDVD, and the quality and ease of use for that is way better than SonicDVD, which is what came with the Dell. iDVD is pretty darn cool for a "consumer" app. iMail isn't so great, but I actually like the Mac version of Outlook better than the PC version so no issues.

There are a lot of quirks to OSX and Entourage that take some time to figure out. Switching is not brainless, and I think a lot of the Mac world's view of Windows comes from pre-XP days. XP has security issues, but if you keep your virus software current this isn't a problem--I never had one virus on my PC. XP overall has been more stable and less prone to "weirdness" than OSX. My powerbook is crashing regularly when trying to wake from sleep, something the Dell never did (then again you had to wait a lot longer for it come back from sleep). I'll be dumping the energy saver program and perhaps doing an OS reinstall today to sort all this out. I never had to do that with XP. I've had to resize all the files in my Powerpoint presentations as the Al can't handle transitions well with large files, but no big deal. Graphic Converter does indeed do one hell of a lot better job than Iphoto (that is junk), GC is about the same as Thumbs Plus, the GC equivalent in PC land.

I do think Apple has some issues with hardware (charging more for weaker performance for example, and all the Ti Problems listed above, plus the many Al PB problems with the early builds--I waited three months before buying for that to get sorted out.). I will recommend an Al PB to anyone who needs FCP; anybody else should probably buy a PC notebook at this point, they cost less for superior performance (yep, really, I've researched this very thoroughly). Desktops are a different beast, I don't know jack about them.

I think Dell would have solved your problems in a heartbeat. Before selling my Dell last week I noticed a very thin line of pits in the screen, all but invisible, but I wanted to sell a "perfect" machine so I called Dell, I had a new display in the machine 48 hours later--the guy came to my house. I highly doubt Apple would have replaced this as fast (in fact, they initally refused to replace the screen on my TiPB even though the keys had eaten it far worse than on the Dell). Apple needs to step up on the service end of things, and build more reliable, less expensive hardware if they want to grow market share.

Whoa, wrote a novel but reading your trials definitely made me sympathize. I bought Applecare on this PB, if nothing else it will increase the resale value substantially.

I think Apple notebooks are a bit like buying a Saab or VW instead of the more traditional Toyota. I enjoy driving Saabs and VWs, but I expect to pay more initially and more for service, but somehow it's worth it. Good luck with your on-going battle, give Apple what for. The day Applecare meet's Dell's service will be a good one.

RISK

PS--Limewire is pretty good too, I thought I would miss Kazaa lite but no problem. I also like being able to mount any PC or Mac drive to this machine, good for transferring large video files, hee hee...

·
Registered
268 Posts
that's funny--i was just going to say the same thing about his praise of Dell and some pc things.

hey, i've praised certain aspects of the pc world (win2000, mind you. forget xp), and i use my toshiba satellite laptop without giving a second thought to whether it will boot or die. it goes and goes and all signs point to it working well for years to come. wish i could say the same for my friggin iPod.

not trying to start a war here--just great posts in this thread and it's good to keep aware of the reality of one's surroundings.

·
Registered
268 Posts
that's funny--i was just going to say the same thing about his praise of Dell and some pc things.

hey, i've praised certain aspects of the pc world (win2000, mind you. forget xp), and i use my toshiba satellite laptop without giving a second thought to whether it will boot or die. it goes and goes and all signs point to it working well for years to come. wish i could say the same for my friggin iPod.

not trying to start a war here--just saying that there's great posts in this thread and it's good to keep aware of the reality of one's surroundings.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My TiBook 400 has had an interesting life as well. So far, I've been far luckier in that my service has been decent.

- The speakers died about 4 months in, which required sending it to Apple to fix. Came back in a week and all was well.
- My yo-yo power supply died about 16 months in - sadly while on a trip. Called AppleCare from Saskatoon and a replacement was in Vancouver the day after I got back.
- The battery rather suddenly became useless after 2 years. I was lucky to get 30 minutes out of it. I have heard numerous stories of batteries not being covered by AppleCare, but they replaced it for me with no hassle.

Now, with 2 weeks of warranty left, I took it in to a dealer on Friday to get some long-time nagging (but not critical) issues taken care of. The hard drive was getting unbelievably loud and it's performance was starting to get terrible. The DVD drive has trouble loading/unloading discs and sometimes doesn't mount even when they do make it in OK. And one side of the screen backlight flickers intermittently.

By strange coincidence, it refused to boot for the tech when he was troubleshooting. Now that's timing.
So it looks like I'll be getting a new HD. We'll see if Apple feels like doing with my other complaints.

I guess my point is that I've had plenty of trouble, yet my Apple service experience has been relatively good. I've never had to complain or nag to get things resolved. I've been lucky so far, and I hope that luck continues - at least for a few more weeks.

*crosses_fingers*

- Martin.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My PB 100 (first PB, I think this was the #) worked perfectly for many years and still ran when I gave it away a few years back, that was a pretty amazing machine, so I'm not sure quality has improved over the years, grin.

Applecare did honor the Applecare I sold to him with the Ti book pretty well over the last two years I believe, he was very happy it came with the machine I think, the quality should not decline with the warranty or as you note there's not a lot of point in buying it...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts