Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than Escape Velocity, what are some games I MUST have on my iBook (either shareware/freeware or for purchase)?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have you tried EV Nova? I haven't yet and I wonder how it is compare to the second version of this series.

Like Elmer, I truly love Warcraft III (I don't have the Frozen Throne thought), but I'm not any good.

I could recommend the newly release Hearts of Iron (a massive WWII game). It works well on my iBook 900 and, at 40 $ (Compusmart downtown Montréal), is a bargain.

Regards.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Depends on what types of games you like. If you like first person shooters, you have to have one of:

- Unreal Tournament
- Quake III
- Return to Castle of Wolfenstein
- Halo (coming out soon)

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Medal of Honor:Allied Assault & Spearhead Expansion pack. Without a doubt.

This has to be my most favorite game. I prefer playing Objective or Team-based network/internet games rather than Free for All. The overall environments and atmosphere of the game are very enthralling.

Aspyr will be releasing a 2-pack in the very near future at approx. $50 US, which I think will save you about $20 if you bought them separately.

I'd love to get a ehMac net game going, but there doesn't seem to be many MoH players here... *hint hint*

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I'm an avid fan of the EV series.

I still find Escape Velocity was the best. The "sequel" (it wasn't really a sequel, more like a revamp of EV), EV: Override was good, but it didn't grab me like EV.

EV Nova is a complete remake of EV, with a brand new engine, and a Windows version. In EV Nova you can also play EV and EV: Override as Amrbosia Software has released the data files that you move into the Nova folder to play the two in the same application.

All 3 get a thumbs up from me.

Other good games I've play have been Unreal Tournament, StarCraft and WarCraft 3. (I own UT, and SC with Brood War, but tried out WC3 on a friend's PC.)

Keep tabs on http://www.insidemacgames.com for a lot of Mac gaming info.

EV Nova, for the first bit is better then the original Escape Velocity, but I lost interest when I beat all the story lines, and there were no major plug-ins available. The Vell-Os storyline has to be the best storyline ever, especially the high end ships.
The Polaris comes in a close second for me, but when your brother sticks in a cheat plug-in and you don't know, it ruins the fun.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm "addicted" (a quote from my beautiful wife) to Age of Empires 2. I love real-time strategy games, and only get satisfaction when using medevil weapons.

I would also put another game on my list: Medal of Honor. I haven't played it on my iMac yet, but the PC version was great.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I LOVE MoH online! The demo version ddoes it great for me. Aspyr is selling a bundle, now. Might get it for myself for Xmas :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Macholic excitedly typed:

The demo version ddoes it great for me.
I've never seen someone so excited about something that they actually stuttered their post. :D

Medal of Honor is an amazing game... one of my favorite Objective levels is the beachhead one -- I always play on the Allies side. :eek:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rogue Spear is my all-time favourite game, and it should play pretty well on your system. There's a nice mix of first person shooter and strategy (in the planning stage). You've also got the multiplayer option, though I don't know how many people still play that one on GameRanger.

In all the games I've played, I never so much felt like I was IN the game as with Rogue Spear.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm waiting for a new verion of Starcraft. Have WarCraft III (funny, but because I was originally shown WC by a 9 year old, I skipped the game thinking it would be for young kids. Wrong.

UT and UT 2003

Wish Duke Nukem 3D would come out with a new game for Jaguar/Panther.

I really enjoy playing Halo on my brother's X box when I visit. We do the co-operative play routine.

Chess is a big winner for me, as is backgammon.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Britnell, do you know of a good backgammon program for a Mac that one might order/purchase???

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I've never seen someone so excited about something that they actually stuttered their post.
Actually, that happens a lot with me. I am a VERY HARD two-finger typer. The keys on the Apple Pro keyboards have a springe bottom. And I look at the keyboard as i type. So, if I bang too hard, I get a double-keystroke, here and there. I usually double-check for double-letters, but must have not done so that time.

BUT YES; I D-D-D-D-D-DO LO-V-V-VE MoH!

·
Registered
232 Posts
No One Lives Forever 2 is an awesome game, excellent story and amazing graphics. Plus about a gazillion weapons to use. Very humorous in an Austin Powers sort of way.

I thought Return to Castle Wolfenstein was pretty amazing too although I don't think you'd be able to run it on an iBook.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
> How would MoH spear head run on an ibook 900 384mb?

Medal Of Honor and the SpearHead expansion pack will run fine on your system. But there are two spots (bugs) in Spearhead where the game slows to a crawl. It happens on all systems and makes passing those levels difficult.

I have run both games on a G4/466 with a GeForce 2 MX video card, and although I had to turn down some of the video prefs, it was a fun gaming experience. I love both games very much. The Omaha Beach level of MOHAA is quite intense.

I must also say... Return To Castle Wolfenstein, particularly the non-scifi portions, are simply wonderful. I'm a bit of a war history nut, so the sci-fi parts aren't my favorite levels to play. The graphics and audio are really well done.

-Howie

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
There are two games that I have that could probably be referred to as just plain old gratuitous violence. They are Soldier Of Fortune II, and Max Payne. While both have good action and tons of violence, Max Payne is actually incredibly well thought out. The storyline, the voice actors, the cartoon aspects, and mood, are all first rate.

I wouldn't normally recommend an extremely violent first person shooter, especially one with no historic significance, but Max Payne is an exception. It's definitely not for everyone though.

-Howie

1 - 20 of 42 Posts