Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I have my new G5 and I still have my HP Slimline PC - I also have an Altec Lansing three speaker system that only has one plug that currently is going to my PC. How do I get both systems to use the same speakers - thanks in advance.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Airport Express

I'd recommend an Airport Express. This assumes that both the HP and the G5 are on the same LAN (and connect via either WiFi or Ethernet), that they both use iTunes for music playback and that your main router can setup WiFi.

An Airport Express is a small router that can also stream music to a remote set of speakers via WiFi. Just plug your speakers into the Airport Extreme and enable AirTunes on the Airport. You can then play music to the speakers from either computer via the iTunes interface.

The Airport Express usually lists for $99Can. I think. But you can often find it for less at places like SIG Electronics US & Canada and the Apple online refurb store. Great devices that are truly wonderful and can not only function as a router and music streamer but also as a print server. Really, the Swiss Army Knife of wireless networking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool

I never would have thought about that.. thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm that is backwards..

I have one cable coming out of the subwoofer.. so it needs to go into one female and have two male ends to go into the computer i think.. i would assume they make one in reverse.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
No, no no - you can't do that!

You are connecting the two audio outputs of the computers to each other and you will likely blow the outputs of both of them.
The first Y-splitter that was shown is meant to connect one audio output to two speakers or audio systems; the second Y-splitter is meant to connect two audio inputs to a single audio input.

If you want to connect two audio outputs to a single speaker you either need an audio switch where you select one speaker at a time, either manually or automatically, or you can try to find a device with a hybrid transformer that isolates the two outputs from each other but still drives a speaker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts