Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here in ehmac land tried this out? I need to run probably 3 VM's at once (for testing purposes) and up until now have had them scattered across a couple of different machines, but I'd like to consolidate them and run from one place and VNC into them separately.

The problem is I don't have enough ram in the machine I want to use for this (my mac mini in my media setup) and I want to make sure I can do this before I drop 2 gigs of ram into it ;) It works great with one VM going but I don't have the ram to kick over a second one, trying to always grinds me to a halt.

Anyone tried this out?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. Mine won't be the same OS, just different versions of windows that I have to support and I'm just using web browsers on them so it's not too hard on the CPU.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I ran Vista, XP, 98, 95 and 3.11 at one time to take a picture 15 years of windows Hell. It made my mac run like crap and very slow, but that was mainly with the Vista going, and the fact that there were 5 VMs going at once.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I can also confirm that it works, but remember a couple little things:

-Each VM requires its own chunk of memory space (solved by upgrading RAM)

-Each VM requires a substantial amount of virtual memory. Your Mac mini's hard drive (5400 rpm?) will be working overtime to satisfy both OS X, and each VM's requirements. On my MBP, an installation of Windows XP is currently taking 2 GB +/- of virtual memory, on top of the several gigs of hard drive space the rest of OS X (not including apps) take up. Mind you, this isn't so much an issue of you aren't switching or loading apps while the VMs are running.

-Each VM will take a chunk of CPU time, even while idling. Obviously, newer variations of Windows/Linux will take more, but it could be a real drag doing anything else on the machine with multiple VMs loaded. And I'm assuming you have the newer dual core mini as well, as the single core model would simply choke.

I have a 1.83 CoreDuo MBP, with 1.5 GB of Ram and a 5400 rpm hard drive. With Parallels (WinXP) and Safari, iTunes, and Mail open, the Mac does become noticeably slower doing tasks, compared to when Parallels isn't running. When I open up SuSE Linux into a second VM, the Mac becomes almost unresponsive until it eats up enough virtual memory to operate. Moral of the story? Lots of RAM required, and you really won't enjoy doing anything else while three VMs are open.

An iMac or Mac Pro is probably better suited for this kind of multitasking. But to answer your original question, it can be done. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Multi windows

Hey M

I run, XP Pro Sp 2, 2003 Server, Windows 2000, Vista, Linux, Unix and yes memory allocation is the big one. Configure each OS to run basic config, remove all default programs not needed ( games, print drivers, monitor drivers etc. etc. ) Manually config Parallels to base memory requirements for each OS then adjust as needed. Portable installs are usually the lightest on HD space requirements.

Depending on software running in VM, you can also use msconfig or sysedit to allocate specific memory, apps on startup, etc etc. This helps reduce each OS memory usuage and page calls that are the Microsoft memory munchers. Also reduce display colors from 32 to 24 if you don't need the graphic colors.

Munchie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts