Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two macs. A 27 Imac that I run with three monitors. This works great but. I want to run my second computer (mac mini) On one of the three monitors while using the same keyboard and mouse as the Imac. While doing this I also want to still run the IMac on the remaining two monitors? I am somewhat familiar with "Synergy mouse and keyboard software" but have not tried it yet. I am aware that this will not fix my issue of multiple computers with a single monitor issue. This, I think can be achieved with a KVM switch. Is there an elegant way to make this work that wont involve physically switching cables etc?

·
Registered
807 Posts
This, I think can be achieved with a KVM switch. Is there an elegant way to make this work that wont involve physically switching cables etc?
A KVM will do it. I haven't done it on a Mac but Years of working with various KVMS, this is the way you want to go.

iMac plugged into monitor one and two directly, and a cable to the KVM (to connect the iMac to the keyboard, mouse and monitor three).
Monitor three plugged into the KVM
Mac mini cable feed from the KVM
keyboard and mouse plugged into the KVM.

Your iMac will always display on two monitors. The keyboard, mouse and third monitor will depend on which computer is toggled as active in the KVM. Depending on the KVM most have soft key combinations to toggle and not a physical switch or knob (like the old days). This is the part you would have to research, one that would be Mac compliant. I had a small inland one years ago, never could get it to work on my mac because the toggle was print scrn + print scrn + up or down arrow. Never worked reliably.

BReligion

1 - 4 of 4 Posts