Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there used or using a MOTU 828 or 896 to feed more than just a straight stereo signal into a mac? I'm wanting to multi track, & considering a MOTU for input - would appreciate any info from actual users. Also interested to know of any alternatives to the MOTU for inputting those track, other than layering.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I've used the 828 mk1 and the 896. They both work fine. I'm not a big fan of the motu mic pres - but they are pretty good and the 896 is a nice unit in combination with a powerbook for a compact remote recording system. However, if you are doing a remote with multiple inputs you still need headphones, mics, mic stands, mixer for monitoring (at least), headphone amp etc etc - so its never a nice compact contained system in this situation anyway. In a studio, compactness is not such an issue. So you might as well pick and choose your audio components.

The 828 mk2 is a good base i/o unit. If you need more mic pre-amps you can purchase a good little mixer (direct outs feeding into the 828) - or something like the RME QuadMic unit (four great mic pres) and still be in the same ballpark as the 896 with better sound and greater functionality.

A mixer is a nice thing to have around. My mackie goes everywhere - and for direct monitoring you can't beat it. Monitoring direct from the 896 without a mixer means that odd inputs are hard-panned left and even inputs are hard-panned right.

Some other Firewire options:
Tascam FQ-1884 - is in the same price range as the 896 with a whole lot more features and, I've heard, better mic preamps.
digidesign 002R comes complete with ProTools LE software - for less $ than 896.
metric halo mobile 2882 - about $2100
presonus firestation - direct competition for the 828. looks promising but, as always, get opinions from actual users first.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for response - have Behringer mixer, which is a very sweet, clean, light, dependable unit; mics, cords, etc., etc. - will check out the other gear you suggested. I know it won't be simple &/or compact - I just want doable! Spent many thousands of $ on a studio CD, & am unwilling to do that again - want more control over the music, & want to be able to work in my own environment...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts