Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to combine several scanned pages (.jpg) into one PDF and I'm having trouble. I've done this before by converting the JPEG files into pdf's using Preview, then opening the pages and dragging the pages from one drawer to another.

But now it won't work.

Is it because Preview is converting my JPEGs into Acrobat PDF's? Shouldn't Preview convert them to Preview PDF's?

I'm confused.

Gina

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I just tried what you're describing and it worked just fine.

For clarity, here's what I did:

1. opened three jpg photos in preview
  2. saved each one as a PDF
  3. closed preview
  4. opened all three PDF in preview
  5. opened the "drawer" of each PDF in preview
  6. dragged two of the PDFs into the third PDF's drawer
  7. saved the PDF with all three images as another file
  8. closed preview
  9. opend the PDF with all three PDF images to be sure - it worked!

maybe you're doing something slightly differerent?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm doing, except that when I try dragging them, nothing happens.

When you open your PDF's, are they Acrobat PDF's? Is the drawer on the right or on the left? I ask because when the drawer is on the right I can do it, but today's PDF's have the drawer on the left.

Talk about confusing.

Gina

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done it before, too, when the drawer is on the right -- I can do it today even, i.e., I can drag these same problematic files into an old PDF that has the drawer on the right.

But these PDF's I'm opening have the drawer on the left and they just don't work. I created them today by opening Preview, selecting the file and Saving As PDF.

I made the PDF's from scans that I had saved as JPEG's, could this have anything to do with my problem?

I think I'm going to try doing a disk repair and a restart. I'll let you know if that does the trick.

Gina

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is very weird: it did work because by selecting "Sidebar" from the "View" menu, the sidebar places itself on the right.

I'm bookmarking that because that's one of those details that I'm bound to forget!

Thanks!

Gina

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
this post was very timely because i needed to do this this morning and hadn't figured it out previously. with snow leopard the trick seems to be dragging one pdf on top of another in the sidebar to merge them... otherwise if you just drag them into the side bar separately they remain individual pdf's.

·
Premium Member
5,693 Posts
I've used Paperless to create multipage scans into pdfs. I stumbled on this post and tried using Preview to combine 2 pdfs. I followed the instructions given here but Preview does nothing when I drag over another pdf into the sidebar.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I've used Paperless to create multipage scans into pdfs. I stumbled on this post and tried using Preview to combine 2 pdfs. I followed the instructions given here but Preview does nothing when I drag over another pdf into the sidebar.
To make this work, I was a PDF from one sidebar to another. If that still doesn't work, I know that in Tiger it doesn't work, but in Leopard and SL is does. That could be it.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
i made it work in snow leopard by dragging one pdf on top of another in the sidebar, and then doing a 'save as' for the merged file. hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Nobody has mentioned, so I will - this is very easy with Acrobat Pro. It's well worth the expense, if you work a lot with PDFs.

·
Premium Member
5,693 Posts
I'd like to get to the bottom of this. I'm running Snow Leopard but can't get it to work when dragging pdf pages or pdfs to sidebars. What's the trick? Is there a Preview Pro or something that you guys are using?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.