Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my question... I've got a 1000 page document that I need to scan in as little time as possible and store it in a fashion where I can quickly look up the page numbers. (Don't need to OCR the documents)

Does anyone have any experience with a scanner that has a unattended document feeder? I've seen a couple on the net from Epson, HP... wondering if they work good and what format to they get saved in? Do they just create a bunch of individual image files or can they get stored in a multi-page document where you can jump to a page number?

Would be awesome if there was one that would automatically create a PDF file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Now that all volume photocopiers use scanning of all pages before printing and do clever image manipulation afterwards you are probably looking at heavy duty machines.

A convoluted way to say take it to a bureau and get the output on pdf/CD.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We do a lot of document scanning here at work. Trying to create a true paperless work environment. So far the Xerox (Document Centers) machines have had the best results, they are also $50,000 bucks though. The biggest problems we have are pages getting jammed in the document feeder of the various machines. So look for a good document feeder. Sorry I don’t have any experience with Epson. We didn’t enjoy the HP trial machine either. Jammed a lot.

After scanning it’s best to have it saved as a multi-page PDF document. We had also been saving things as multi-page TIFF files, but seemed to have more problems viewing it. A good PDF solution works very well.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know of a service bureau or something that would be able to do this? Scan 1000 pages and archive them to CD in PDF format?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts