Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings
Anybody ticked that Apple hasn't matched Microsoft and it's MSN service. Specifically the long distance telephone set-up. How can us Mac-heads do that elegantly. Far as I know there's no way with the .Mac service from Apple. I know Pee Cee'ers who are doing long distance through MS and swear by it.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Ted

·
Registered
95 Posts
I dont like MSN for mac in general. Right now I'm on a PC and running MSN 6 with PLUS! installed ....it's nice. lol I hope MSN mac gets updated soon cuz when i switch over to a mac that;s one of the things im going to miss. Im on msn all the time!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Although the Mac version of MSN Messenger is only at version 3.5.1, it's far smoother and cleaner looking than MSN 6.0 for the PC, and not nearly, if at all, any advertisements compared to the PC version. It works well for me, although it does tend to randomly kick me out at times.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Theres Ads in the MSN Mac Version? I dont think ive ever seen one......... or atleast never noticed

And ive never experienced the getting kicked that you just mentioned Lars.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I never use MSN Messenger for Mac anymore, I just use Proteus whihc allows me to run both my ICQ and MSN from the same application.
And there is always iChat, but not too many people here in Canada use AIM like in the States.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
What about Audio chat through iChat? Doesn't that count? That's free with your internet connection.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks Chealion! I was looking for something like Trillian for my Mac and Proteus appears to be it. I hate having to run both MSN and ICQ at the same time.. This should help.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Yeah. iChat does the telephony thing -- only, just with AOL & .Mac :( Apple should blow it wide open to handle MSN, ICQ, Yahoo etc. etc.

Meanehile, I too use eeither Proteus or Fire. Used Proteus first over Fire. liked its purdy UI. Then, it started getting buggy. Switched to Fire.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
yes...thanks Chealion! Looks like Proteus is my new message program
Just downloaded it and it's working great

I agree with Macaholic...imagine if apple set up ichat allowing all message programs to be seen by it...AND make the isight available to Pee Cee users (if it isn't already) just like itunes and the ipod. This is how apple needs to creep into the PC market...leak these products out to PC users so they can start to see and understand Mac's interface and style...then they get addicted and switch! :D

Also then there wouldn't be such a divide. Think about it...music and chatting are where computer users mingle the most....therefore these areas need to be seemless between PC and Mac users. Or else all of us Mac users are going to keep using programs like messenger or proteus to see our friends instead of using ichat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I find your comments about the Mac apps. interesting, Pamela. Are you not a recent switcher from the PeeCee world? We would be interested in more of your comments about switching and the different systems --X and XP or whatever you were using and the different software. Has everything gone well or--would you stay with the PeeCee if you had to do it over again? Just curious. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts