Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize the original story of MS being envious of iTMS was posted in an earlier thread but this report in The Register puts another perspective on it.

MS's media software is in danger of being see as the piece of **** it is and without its own 'ipod'-type hardware, MS will get shut out of a growing market.

Too bad.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
You know, I'm looking at this quote in that article:
Unless Apple decides to make radical changes to their service model, a Windows-based version of iTunes will still remain a closed system, where iPod owners cannot access content from other services. Additionally, users of iTunes are limited to music from Apple's Music Store. As I mentioned earlier, this is a drawback for Windows users, who expect choice in music services, choice in devices, and choice in music from a wide-variety of music services to burn to a CD or put on a portable device," said Fester. David, that is.
and it's utter rubbish, if iTunes for the PC is the same as iTunes for the Mac. There is nothing stopping anyone from using another music service to download music and then put this in iTunes and on the iPod. Just because iTunes is integrated with the iTMS doesn't mean you can't go to another service, do a download, and add it to iTunes, and from iTunes to your iPod. Heck, you even have the choice to get music off a CD and add it to iTunes. True, iTunes doesn't give you a choice of music services within iTunes, but why should it, Apple wants you to use their own store.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The problem is that the other services typically use Windows Media format and DRM which, of course, are not supported by iT or iTMS. Hence the lack of "choice".

The Reg article is typically both sly and insightful. A very good read.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I am surprised that MS hasn't offered apple some serous cash for itms and then once they buy it ...drop the Mac support and make it windows only hehe
isn't that the microsoft spirit? isn't dell and MS and match made in heaven...both rip off other peoples ideas and call them thier own...both are losers and unoriginal morons....cheers, Mark

·
Registered
438 Posts
very well put imactheknife :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts