Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, coincidently I have been in MS pseudo-hell the last could of days. Yay me!

I find that MSN Messenger has been ramped up to support OSX and 9.2.2 only. I think someone mentioned this a while back - but since mine was still working - it seemed OK? Til today.

My client on 9.1 won't work and I am not about to go up to 9.2.2 because it crashes terribly on both my machines...oh well, MS at its best!

and on top of that I have received 134 (count em) security updates (all dupes) from MS in the last two days.

===================================
this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabilities. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.
 System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
 This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
 Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity. How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog box. How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this item.
Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site, or Contact Us.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.
Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.
================================

Of course I can't unsubscribe, nor do anything about this... and they are 140+k per email and in html... so they take a while to refresh on the screen. It is nice to have a new hobby!

What a rock solid outfit this is! Great thinkin, eh?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
For what it's worth, those "security updates" aren't sent by Microsoft; they're some sort of trojan horse. I just mark them as spam and away I go.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I find that MSN Messenger has been ramped up to support OSX and 9.2.2 only.
I had MSN running on Mac OS 8.6 the other day...

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
That's right about MS updates: MS NEVER sends any updates out: either you visit their website yourself, or you subscribe to an 'auto update' which will never come to you by e-mail.

If it makes you feel better, I have received about 700 such messages in the past 3 days, which has forced me to install a spam filter at the server end (not just on the Mac itself).

Funny thing about Messenger is that I get regular requests to upgrade. Each time I do, nothing happens (from memory I am on 3.51) but I keep getting the message...???

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The biggest clue:
" ... How to install Run attached file. ..."

So, is there an attachment that runs into the hundreds of megabytes? A MS cumulative patch for all these programs must be at least a few hundred MB, and I would expect it to be closer to a Gig.

If I remember right, this virus/worm scans hard drives for anything that resembles an eMail address (ie it doesn't just look in Entorage or Outlook address books, it looks at every text file on an infected computer) and sends a copy to them (in this case, you).

In any case, delete with extreme prejudice.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A neat little trick I learned today. In OSX go to your mail preferances and click on the rules icon and click add rule.Fill out the criteria and perform whatever actions you would like this rule to do. I transferred the message directly to the trash and just so microsoft wasn't missing out on all the fun I redirected the message to them as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts