Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Just bought it after checking out some samples. Seems like a great album with some interesting interpretations of some excellent selections. I hope this album brings some new attention to the incredible potential and power in John Lennon's work as well as bring in the bucks for the Amnesty campaign.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Holy CRAP, did Avril Lavigne ever butcher "Imagine"!! Just who did she have to "do" to get the chance to sing THAT song?? A flat interpretation that is ALSO often flat in pitch! She's undeserving of this privilege. Jack Johnson's version -- by comparison because this song is on the album TWICE(??) -- is better.

OTOH, Aerosmith's version of "Give Peace A Chance" sounds like an absolute funky frolic :)

Flaming Lips screwed up the melody lift during the chorus of "Starting Over". Nice going!

"Big and Rich" reduced "Nobody Told Me" to a C-Room bar band cover. There's no PASSION like how Lennon sang it.

There are several other nice covers on this album "Beautiful Boy", "Real Love", Working Class Hero".

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I enjoyed Christina Aguilara's rendition of "Mother" and Lenny Kravitz' version of "Cold Turkey". Totally agree on the Avril cut. In fact, I plan on deleting it and renumbering the tracks (kinda 1984ish, I can vaporize it and pretend it never existed).

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Holy CRAP, did Avril Lavigne ever butcher "Imagine"!! Just who did she have to "do" to get the chance to sing THAT song?? A flat interpretation that is ALSO often flat in pitch! She's undeserving of this privilege. Jack Johnson's version -- by comparison because this song is on the album TWICE(??) -- is better.

OTOH, Aerosmith's version of "Give Peace A Chance" sounds like an absolute funky frolic :)

Flaming Lips screwed up the melody lift during the chorus of "Starting Over". Nice going!
Given that there are 3 versions of imagine on the album, we do have a choice. Oddly, I found Avril Lavigne's version to be the better one - maybe it's because I had no expectations.

Give Peace a chance was fun as you stated. I liked the music to "Jealous Guy" but don't think that Youssou N'Dour voice helped the song....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts