Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can someone tell me where you downlaod MP3's from when using a Mac. Someone told me Kazaa doesn't work on a mac is this true? is there anything like Kazza I can use?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Unfortuneatly, Limewire has always been the most reliable for me. It has a clunky/slow interface, but has always downloaded stuff a lot more reliably.

But also check out Acquisition and Neo, both of which are very popular.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
As Mac says on its iPods..."Don't Steal Music!"

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Limewire works fairly well. You can locate most songs.

As for buying the music, if the album's worthwhile then go ahead. Too many albums nowadays are too short on overall quality and content. Also the sad thing is that you're mostly supporting the record label--not the artist--by buying albums. I agree that both are linked together to a certain degree. But as I understand it, it's touring that makes musicians the most money - unless you're a pop icon who sells every god-forsaken piece of merchandise with your face on it.

Aren't there supposed to be sites being set up where you can buy individual MP3s or songs? Did this fall through? Am I imagining things again?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Cynical Critic wrote:
"Aren't there supposed to be sites being set up where you can buy individual MP3s or songs? Did this fall through? Am I imagining things again?"

Um, well, eMusic has been around for a while, but I'm not sure if the bastard infernal record companies are setting anything up.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The Industry pay sites are still around, and more are testing the waters every day. Of course, just because you pay doesn't mean you're not in the middle of a copyright theft; the Record companies themselves are paying out huge lawsuit damages because they don't pay the artists when you pay-to-download.

mp3.com has been sued by Bob Dylan, Billy Joel and James Taylor. So far they have paid out $133 million in damages, and more suits are pending. mp3.com is owned by Vivendi Universal (owner of the world's largest record company, Universal Music Group), which (you guessed it) copied files from commercial CDs and sold them to unsuspecting consumers as mp3 files.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Personally I like iSwipe, easy to use interface, work fairly well!

I agree with the "If you like it, buy it" But I refuse to pay these insane prices for CD's when all I like is one song, if they could get artists that can do more thna a one hit wonder, this would be less of a problem I am sure.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Oh boy.... What if the artist told you that his career depended on some of the sales or money that the label is apparently making? Yes labels make $$ but they are also the ones who are INVESTING in an artist's career and taking the risks. Artists want to make more $$? structure the deal differently. Bottom line is that some of this fabulous music we like would not be available for the most part if it were not for deals (distibution), and even with that, people will download music from indies as well. It's not been proven otherwise. And touring is not too easy without a distro. Distro is not too easy without a hit. A hit can sorta be there w/ or w/o CD out. But how do you make $ when cats download it, and you have no sales history? I'm not against downloads, but there have been no way of controlling the abuse. I for one do not want to buy something like an mp3 with no liner notes, no artwork etc... it's the whole package which is meaningful.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cynical Critic:
Limewire works fairly well. You can locate most songs.

As for buying the music, if the album's worthwhile then go ahead. Too many albums nowadays are too short on overall quality and content. Also the sad thing is that you're mostly supporting the record label--not the artist--by buying albums. I agree that both are linked together to a certain degree. But as I understand it, it's touring that makes musicians the most money - unless you're a pop icon who sells every god-forsaken piece of merchandise with your face on it.

Aren't there supposed to be sites being set up where you can buy individual MP3s or songs? Did this fall through? Am I imagining things again?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
gordguide wrote:
"mp3.com has been sued by Bob Dylan, Billy Joel and James Taylor. So far they have paid out $133 million in damages, and more suits are pending. mp3.com is owned by Vivendi Universal (owner of the world's largest record company, Universal Music Group), which (you guessed it) copied files from commercial CDs and sold them to unsuspecting consumers as mp3 files."

Weird. Did some monkey at Vivendi just assume that Vivendi owned the copyright on all of the CDs? I'd imagine that the artists listed have enough clout that they don't sign over the copyright to their work when they sign their record contract, so I'm inclined to think that's the case....

·
Registered
933 Posts
There actually is a decent Kazaa client for the Mac (I'm assuming that you are using OS X), it's called Neo and you can find out about it here.

Limewire is a gnutella client and also works OK. I used to use Sputnix which was an excellent AudioGalaxy client but alas, AG is no more.

I'm assuming of course that you're just looking for mp3s to duplicate songs from your large vinyl collection like me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts