Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mozilla calling it quits on Thunderbird

Mozilla is just now (sort of) pulling the plug on its open-source e-mail software, TechCrunch reported today. The company is looking for feedback and plans to share a final action plan in September.

In a "confidential" message sent to "Mozillians" prior to an official announcement this coming Monday, Thunderbird Managing Director JB Piacentino said Mozilla is moving its resources away from further developing the software with hopes that Thunderbird's vocal fans will take over that responsibility.
(CNET)

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Makes sense. It's pretty miserable compared to Mail or Outlook.
I haven't used it for years but when I did I liked the fact that like Firefox it was extensible with addons and plugins... at one time it was far easier to make HTML based e-mails than with Mail... creating the layout right within the email itself.

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been nothing but trouble for me... I have a colleague who we moved to Thunderbird years ago (after Mail did something odd and proved incompatible with his university server, or something like that). I loathe the idea of having to migrate him *again* to another mail client (likely back to Mail) and try to replicate the huge folder structure he has.... sigh... but I won't be sad to see T-bird bite the dust. It was rather unreliable...

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I haven't used it for years but when I did I liked the fact that like Firefox it was extensible with addons and plugins... at one time it was far easier to make HTML based e-mails than with Mail... creating the layout right within the email itself.
Yeah, it was more flexible - but the GUI was horrible. Just like Firefox was a few years ago, though Firefox has barely improved.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Yeah, it was more flexible - but the GUI was horrible. Just like Firefox was a few years ago, though Firefox has barely improved.
I still way prefer Firefox to Safari, again for its extensability... it's not as fast as Safari but for a a few nano seconds loading pages I prefer just about everything else about it... To each their own.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Never liked Firefox for its UI, even back in the days when its speed regularly seemed to trump Safari's. Never found much use for its extensibility either. Last half year or so I've been with Chrome. Fast, and an unobtrusive UI. Have two or three extensions running but as a rule I keep it down to a handful.

Thunderbird? Its better days are far behind it. High time they killed it.

·
Premium Member
42,442 Posts
I still way prefer Firefox to Safari, again for its extensability... it's not as fast as Safari but for a a few nano seconds loading pages I prefer just about everything else about it... To each their own.
Yep. I use Firefox 99% of the time for just those reasons.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I could understand that before Safari had extensions. Back then, I used Camino - because Firefox just irritated me.

How do you find Firefox more customizable than Safari now that Safari has extensions? Aside from the ghastly themes available for Firefox.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Ghastly themes are becoming ubiquitous. It's a form of participatory democracy! You should see what's available for Chrome - user-generated themes ranging from very slick & sweet to eye-destroying.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Too bad, it is a great product. Amazing add-ons and cross-platform.

Hopefully the community will continue to contribute after that last official release.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts